Young Republicans Dump Trump; Discuss Election, Family Values

Young Republicans president Jesus Perera leads a club meeting where students discuss the election and their conservative values.

Louisa Utley, staff writer

Note: this story was written before the Presidential Election occurred in Nov. 2016.

The Young Republicans club is back in full force this school year after taking a lengthy break. Membership is increasing as the club discusses the upcoming election, presidential candidates, and conservative values.

“My freshman year there was [Young Republicans] club but when Ms. Bonds, the leader, left it ended,” Young Republicans President Jesus Perera said. “There was no club my sophomore year, and in my junior year, we started it up again.”

During their weekly meetings at lunch, the Young Republicans talk about current events as well as learn about how their conservative beliefs compare to each other’s.

“What I’ve had the most interest in is learning about the different spheres of Republicanism,” Jesus said.

Jesus says he enjoys learning from Tea Party conservatives, libertarians, and moderates. Jesus identifies as a Republican primarily because of family values. He believes that the ways homes are run are crucial to raising responsible American citizens. He thinks that the Republican Party emphasizes a quality upbringing through promoting certain beliefs and policies.

“The number one issue is the way households in America are raised and that makes up the essence of society,” Jesus said.

The Young Republicans club has also allowed for students to form their own political beliefs that may differ from their parents.

“I’ve always had a super conservative family, but I really saw myself shift from fifth to seventh to ninth grade with my personal values,” junior Nate Steppach said. “I consider myself to be more moderate.”

One of Nate’s main beliefs that coincide with the Republican Party is his stance on abortion. Nate does not support late-term abortions or abortion in general unless it the pregnancy may affect the mother’s health. Both Nate and Jesus have also formed their own opinions about the upcoming November election for President of the United States.

“I don’t want Donald Trump to become president, but I definitely don’t want Hillary because I think she has done some stuff that has been overlooked by the media,” Nate said.

“If anyone but Hillary Clinton did what she did, they would not be allowed to run for president,” Jesus said. “Donald Trump sucked up all the momentum and energy from the other Republican candidates like Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, and Carly Fiorina.”

Nate agreed with Jesus about Donald Trump overshadowing the other Republican candidates. He admits that Trump has several tactics that makes him attractive to some people.

“Donald Trump makes blunt, general statements that appeal to voters,” Nate said.

Despite their wishes for a Republican-dominated Washington, both Nate and Jesus agree that Hillary Clinton will most likely win the election.

“I think it is very likely that we will have our first female President this year, although I wish it were Carly Fiorina,” Jesus said.