“Rain Rain,” Never Go Away

Ambient App Aids Tuckered Out Teens

The+rain+falling+at+Greers+Ferry+Lake+captures+the+soothing+sounds+of+Rain+Rain%2C+putting+students+at+ease.++
The rain falling at Greers Ferry Lake captures the soothing sounds of Rain Rain, putting students at ease.

photo by Claire Schallenberg

photo by Claire Schallenberg

Claire Schallenberg, business manager

Are you ever lying awake at night for hours in silence? Or lying in bed thinking about the homework you need to get done or your busy schedule to the point that you cannot fall asleep? Rain Rain Sleep Sounds, a free application for your phone, can transform your sleeping experience from endless tossing and turning to a deep and healthy sleep with its medley of sounds.

Rain Rain features six categories of sounds: rain, storms, water, nature, transportation, and appliances. Under each of these categories of sounds there are are a variety of noises to chose from, some of the most interesting being a Shih Tzu snoring or an Airliner. You can even create mixes of your favorite sounds, independently controlling the volume of each. With 49 high-quality sounds to choose from, the application appeals to many. You can even put the sound on a timer and drift into sleep without having to wake up and turn it off when you are done or leave it on all night.

The noise created using the app is white noise. White noise works to reduce the difference between background sounds and loud noises, while also creating a consistent and monotone low noise to avoid silence. White noise is one of the easiest ways to rid anxiety before sleeping. It is relaxing and often time leads someone to fall asleep quicker and more peacefully.

Many students at Central are raving about the app. This app is helpful for students today who face so much stress in a school day and need a calming nap to rejuvenate.

“I love Rain Rain,” senior Anya Ali said. “Falling asleep to rain is probably my favorite thing to do. There’s something peaceful and cozy with a rain day and Rain Rain gives the illusion of that.”

This app is helpful for students today who face so much stress in a school day and need a calming nap to rejuvenate.