All Abroad The World

Students To Study In Foreign Countries In College

illustration by Ina Kim

“I want to keep going with German throughout college and to learn the culture and try and become fluent,” senior German student Ebony Myers said. “Maybe I will even live there later in life.”

Louisa Utley, staff writer

Some of the strangest and wildest stories adults tell are those from when they were in college. Stereotypical American college experiences are full of Greek life, parties, and challenging decisions. Despite the craziness, it is also a time of self-realization and inquisitive learning. However, with soaring tuition prices, some high school seniors find themselves considering studying in a foreign country.

Advocates for studying abroad believe that it is cheaper to study out of the country. Many countries in Europe, like Germany offer free or significantly reduced tuition for international students. Studying in a different country also enables participants to meet new people and experience a different culture, and also open up job and travel opportunities later in life.

However, there are some advantages to staying in the United States. The “traditional” college experience consisting of dorm rooms, learning to live from a tight budget, and lots of school spirit which are major highlights of many people’s lives. American colleges have large sports teams, social organizations like sororities and fraternities, and many on-campus facilities including gyms, libraries, and study centers. Many say that these experiences create lasting friendships and provide a fun, exciting atmosphere for students. However, sports teams and Greek life can be distracting for students, causing them to focus less on their education and future.

Almost none of the universities in foreign countries provide on-campus accommodations. Residential life does not exist. In Germany, most students live off campus in apartments or with their parents. Instead of eating in a dining hall, people either make their food or go to a restaurant/bar. Although this may make it harder to make friends, it helps students become independent, more so than at an American college. (www.cnbc.com)

German schools are also stricter about their admissions. If one wishes to study a more advanced subject, like medicine or dentistry, one must have good grades at a secondary school, take and succeed on an admissions test, and have letters of recommendation. Students wishing to attend certain arts colleges must submit a portfolio and/or pass an entrance exam. (www.internations.org)

In the end, it is up to the students to decide which kind of college experience they want to have. Whether they choose to study in the US or study abroad, they are guaranteed to create life-lasting memories, no matter what they choose.