• April 26- Clash of the Tigers 2:45 pm (Quigley)

• April 24- Administrative Professional Appreciation Day

• April 22- Earth Day

• April 18- ACT Aspire (10th Grade)

• April 16- ACT Aspire (9th Grade)

• April 13- Prom 8pm (GSA)

• April 12- Dance Team Tryouts

• April 11- ACT Aspire (10th Grade)

• April 9- ACT Aspire (9th Grade)

• April 8-9- Dance Team Auditions

Filed under Lifestyle

Interfaith Thanksgiving Promotes Peace, Cultivates Communion

Back to Article
Back to Article

The spread of food included a multitude of dishes; there were traditional Thanksgiving dishes like turkey, green bean casserole, and cranberry sauce, but there was also food from other cultures including falafel with hummus, an Ethiopian rice dish, and Persian rice and noodles called Reshteh Polow. And of course, dessert included an array of pies, from sweet potato to pecan. (photo by Sydney Gastman)

Interfaith events never fail to leave me feeling wholesome and inspired, with lots of hope for a peaceful future. Full of good food and good company, the sixth annual Interfaith Thanksgiving was no different.

The Interfaith Thanksgiving was held Wednesday, Nov. 15 downtown at Curran Hall, which is a space that radiates a homey, relaxed atmosphere–perfect for the informal community gathering. The Multi-faith Youth Group (which I am a part of) opened the event with the Universal Prayer, a prayer for peace and harmony. We then went straight for the food, which included an impressive spread of Thanksgiving-inspired dishes from various cultures.

Although I was one of only three teenagers at the event, the adults were so friendly and welcoming. I sat among people of all different faiths, from Muslim to B’hai to Christian to Buddhist. As I scarfed down heaps of falafel and retrieved my third serving of a delicious date-filled Persian rice dish, those who prepared the dishes took turns explaining the cultural significance of what they brought. It was clear that they had put a lot of thought and love into the food, making the dinner all the more meaningful.

The night was short and sweet, and it filled me with positive energy. It’s so refreshing to see people from such contrasting backgrounds come together to engage in communion. I’m so grateful for the opportunity to attend all kinds of interfaith gatherings and services through my membership in the Multi-faith Youth Group.

The Multi-faith Youth Group is available to high school students of any faith. If you’re interested in joining or learning more about it, contact [email protected]

About the Writer
Sydney Gastman, Lifestyle Editor

Sydney Gastman is a senior and one of the lifestyle editors. She's vegan and really likes sweet potatoes. She also likes to run. Recycling is not a joke to her. Like one of Sydney's stories? Let her know! Email her at [email protected]