• December 14-19- Semester Exams

• December 14-15- All-Region Jazz Clinic

• December 8- ACT

• December 5- Senior Panoramic

Filed under Voices

Surprising Facts: Animal testing has both benefits and harms

Back to Article
Back to Article

Animal Lovin’. This adorable bunny can be found on many cruelty free products. “ The ‘cruelty-free’ brands on my lists don’t test finished products or ingredients on animals at any point during production,” Suzana Rose said, Founder of the Cruelty Free Kitty. Another logo found on many cruelty free products is the leaping bunny logo. “[leaping bunny] seek to prevent future animal testing so companies must agree not to conduct any animal testing after a fixed cut-off date,” according to the leaping bunny program. (photo courtesy of crueltyfreekitty)

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

As humorous as this may seem, it brings attention to the fact that animal testing creates controversy. Animal testing is the process of using animals, more often rodents, to predict how products will affect humans.

Many companies have recently been trying to appeal to environmentalist youth by promoting their brands as cruelty free. For example, Baden Aniline and Soda Factory (BASF) and Givaudan, two chemical companies, just announced their collaboration with The Institute for In Vitro Sciences (IIVS) to find substitutes for animal testing. All of this is a step towards a better earth. But the question remains: Is animal testing wrong?

“If there are other methods available to test products to ensure they’re safe, then you shouldn’t test on animals,” senior Taylor Harris said.

Taylor believes that there is both a moral and an animal rights argument against animal testing. In addition, she believes that animal testing can actually be more costly and time consuming than the alternatives. The United States alone spends $16 billion on animal testing per year. (Peta.org).Many companies test on animals because it appears to be the best option.

“[To some companies], it might not seem like using other types of testing methods could yield results that will ensure the safety of the future customers, unless they resort to testing on humans instead,” Taylor said.

There are other alternatives to testing on live beings: computerized simulations, stem cells, or testing the products in small doses on humans. Animals can be harmed by the products labs treat them with. They endure pains ranging from infections to poisoning that can eventually lead to death.

However, animal testing is also used in the medical industry, which leads some to agree with the concept of testing on animals and believe that it contributes to saving lives.

“Nearly every medical breakthrough in the last 100 years has resulted directly from research using animals,” a California Biomedical Research Association reported.

Surprisingly, studies have shown that animal testing can actually benefit animals. Recently, The University of Pennsylvania conducted experiments that eventually lead to gene therapy that saved night vision in dogs.

But is it acceptable for the beauty industry to rely on animals to ensure the safety of their products? Although many companies and consumers are fighting animal testing and searching for more humane methods, at times it might be the best choice to ensure consumer safety.

“We are continually evaluating alternatives to animal-derived ingredients and have replaced many ingredients with vegetable-derived substitutes,” NARS cosmetics stated.

It is up to the consumer to decide whether to support such companies or not. If one does not support animal testing, he/she can boycott these companies, which will support and profit the cruelty free companies.

However, whether people are against animal testing or not, it never hurts to support environment-friendly and cruelty-free beauty products. Some favorites include brands such as Becca, Colourpop, elf, SheaMoisture, Burt’s Bees, and many more. Crueltyfreekitty.com offers an endless list of cruelty free products that everybody can enjoy.

( information for this story was gathered from the following sources: crueltyfreekitty.com and Peta.org)

1 Comment

One Response to “Surprising Facts: Animal testing has both benefits and harms”

1. anna cay vernon on September 21st, 2018 2:28 pm

Really interesting article that explains the controversy of animal testing.

• Surprising Facts: Animal testing has both benefits and harms

Sports

The Tiger’s Stripes

Voices

Thanksgiving Creates Stress, Feeds Consumerism

Voices

One More On the List: Netflix Releases New Originals

Voices

Kanye vs the People: West Faces Backlash Due to Controversial Opinions

Voices

Saturday Night Live Returns With New, Improved Comedy

Community

Kavanaugh Confirmation Causes Protest; Senate Confirms Nominee 50-48

Columns

The Tiger’s Stripes

Voices

Satanic Temple Protests at Capitol

Voices

Faith tested: Catholics Respond to Church Allegations

Voices

The Lives They Led