• March 29- Blood Drive

• March 27- Cheer Clinic @ 4:30 (gym)

• March 16-24- Spring Break

• March 14- Health Fair

• March 8-9- Spring Musical

Filed under Voices

Kanye vs the People: West Faces Backlash Due to Controversial Opinions

Back to Article
Back to Article

A look into the future for those who still want Kanye for President in 2020. (art by Sarah Gornatti)

Kanye “Ye”  West is a rapper, singer, producer, fashion mogul, husband to Kim Kardashian, and most recently, a supporter of Donald Trump.

Kanye West first started to show support to our now president in November of 2016. At one of his concerts in California, West declared that he did not vote, but if he had, he would have voted for Trump. Of course this brought on backlash, causing those in attendance to throw items on stage in anger.

Since then, Kanye has debatably gotten worse in the way he presents his political views. He has since been recorded saying that slavery was a choice, gone on twitter rants, posted pictures of him and Donald Trump, and most recently posted a picture of himself in a “Make America Great Again” hat with a heavily controversial caption along with an unaired speech about his political views after his performance on ‘Saturday Night Live’ (SNL).

His most recent post on Instagram prompted a harsh response from singer Lana Del Rey, who performed at Kim and Kanye’s wedding four years ago.

On September 29, Kanye posted a picture of himself in a ‘MAGA’ hat with the caption, “This represents good and America becoming whole again. We will no longer outsource to other countries. We will build factories here in America and create jobs. We will provide jobs for all who are free from prisons as we abolish the 13th amendment. Message sent with love.”

Lana rebutted with a sharp statement by commenting, “Trump becoming our president was a loss for the country but your support of him is a loss for the culture. I can only assume you relate to his personality on some level. Delusions of grandeur, extreme issues with narcissism – none of which would be a talking point if we weren’t speaking about the man leading our country. If you think it’s alright to support someone who believes it’s OK to grab a woman by the p**** just because he’s famous – then you need an intervention as much as he does – something so many narcissists will never get because there just isn’t enough help for the issue. Message sent with concern that will never be addressed.”

Kanye also appeared on SNL hours before he posted the aforementioned controversial picture. After the show ended, Kanye tried to give a monologue about why he supports Trump and was immediately cut off by the producers of the show. This outbreak has been said to ‘embarrass’ his wife, Kim, and her famous family.

Since then, there has been tons of backlash from not only fans but celebrities as well. Comedian Pete Davidson also went on to drag Kanye’s unaired SNL speech on the September 6th episode of SNL. Kanye has deleted his Instagram and twitter, most likely to escape judgement.

About the Writer
Sarah Gornatti, Staff Writer

With hopes of being on a college newspaper in mind, junior Sarah Gornatti is a first-year member of the Tiger staff. A lover of many things, Sarah enjoys hiking, volunteering, sleeping, but most of all the color periwinkle. Sarah is part-Italian, and her love of pasta has made her six years of vegetarianism a breeze. Combining her love of English and History, she dreams of someday traveling through Europe as a journalist . Until then, the Tiger staff is happy to host Sarah's bubbly personality...

1 Comment

One Response to “Kanye vs the People: West Faces Backlash Due to Controversial Opinions”

1. David Ronnel on January 11th, 2019 9:15 am

Thank you Kanye! Very Cool! – President Donald Trump (2018)

• Kanye vs the People: West Faces Backlash Due to Controversial Opinions

Voices

Fashion Industry Secrets! Gucci, Supreme, Vuitton Reveal Methods for Making Iconic Clothing

Community

Into the Spider-Verse Swings to the Top

Voices

Black Leaders Inspire Change, Creativity

Voices

Government Shutdown Creates National Crisis

Voices

Annual Grammy Awards Excites Students, Prompts Differing Opinions

Voices

‘Snow’ More Snow Days: New Policy Causes Students to Work on Snow Days

Voices

New Mayor Promises to Increase Little Rock’s Inclusivity

Voices

The One Where Friends Plans to Leave Netflix

Voices

Safe Spaces Provide Shelter for Minorities

Sports

The Tiger’s Stripes