• April 26- Clash of the Tigers 2:45 pm (Quigley)

• April 24- Administrative Professional Appreciation Day

• April 22- Earth Day

• April 18- ACT Aspire (10th Grade)

• April 16- ACT Aspire (9th Grade)

• April 13- Prom 8pm (GSA)

• April 12- Dance Team Tryouts

• April 11- ACT Aspire (10th Grade)

• April 9- ACT Aspire (9th Grade)

• April 8-9- Dance Team Auditions

Filed under Voices

ACT/SAT Terminate Test Scores for Being too High

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Sarah Thomas studies for the ACT at least once a week. Sarah credits her score increases to her strong study habits.  (photo by Lily Ryall)

Junior Sarah Thomas studies for the ACT at least once a week. Sarah credits her score increases to her strong study habits. (photo by Lily Ryall)

As juniors prepare for the ACT, many are not aware of the power ACT and SAT has when determining if scores are valid.  

It says loud and clear on the ACT’s website: “ACT reserves the right to cancel test scores when there is reason to believe the scores are invalid,” but still, most test takers don’t know that ACT and SAT have the power to open an individual score review and determine scores invalid without consulting the test taker.

“I would never cheat on the ACT, and I think my scores match up with my school grades, but I didn’t know that they could cancel scores without consulting the person,” Sarah said.

Junior Amelia Wickoff was much more surprised than Sarah at the news that she could be suspected of cheating because of a good score.

“No I didn’t know they could terminate my score! Do they really have the power? Why! How! What!” Amelia said.

If the ACT or SAT staff suspects cheating, identity falsification, or if the scores are inconsistent with the person’s classroom performance, then the scores can be terminated without consulting the examinee. Therefore, students can be punished for big improvements in their scores. This is what happened to 18-year-old Kamila Campbell of Florida, who in Jan. 2019, was considering pursuing legal action against SAT for the release of her test scores, which were under review. Kamila alleges that her scores were being withheld on account of a dramatic point increase, but SAT said her scores were under review for different reasons. Unfortunately, if Kamila does not get her score released in time to send them to the colleges she is applying to, she might not get to use her score for scholarship purposes. (cbsnews.com)  

“I feel bad for Kamila,” Sarah said. “ I’ve been studying for the ACT a lot, and I know I would be so sad if my score was canceled.”

Amelia has also been preparing for the ACT persistently. While she understands the need make sure test scores are legitimate, she also thinks that no one is sneaky enough to get away with cheating on the ACT.

“I  don’t think it’s fair, because it’s impossible to cheat on the ACT, and people may just put in a lot of effort and that’s why their scores rose so much,” Amelia said.

About the Writer
Lily Ryall, Staff Writer

A cat and history enthusiast, deeply concerned about global warming, and a over of friends and family, Lily Ryall, has started her junior year as a staff writer. Joining the newspaper staff at Central was a must for her, and she said she "joined because it seems like a cool club and everyone in it seems nice and interesting." As high school slowly comes to an end of the class of 2020, Lily is thinking about life after Central. During her free time she watches her favorite show on Netflix, How I...

1 Comment

One Response to “ACT/SAT Terminate Test Scores for Being too High”

1. Emma Jackson on March 29th, 2019 2:31 pm

That’s pretty whacky, but kind of makes sense, it just shouldn’t be so secretive.

• ACT/SAT Terminate Test Scores for Being too High

Voices

Students Encourage Political Action to Combat Low Voter Turnout

Voices

Methodist Church Votes to Uphold Ban On Homosexuality

Voices

Sunscreen Contaminates Oceans, Harms Coral

Voices

Fashion Industry Secrets! Gucci, Supreme, Vuitton Reveal Methods for Making Iconic Clothing

Community

Into the Spider-Verse Swings to the Top

Voices

Black Leaders Inspire Change, Creativity

Voices

Government Shutdown Creates National Crisis

Voices

Annual Grammy Awards Excites Students, Prompts Differing Opinions

Voices

‘Snow’ More Snow Days: New Policy Causes Students to Work on Snow Days

Voices

New Mayor Promises to Increase Little Rock’s Inclusivity