Former Editor Writes Future

Tom Coulter Continues to Pursue Journalism After Tiger Career. (photo courtesy of Tom Coulter)

For many students, the idea of constantly writing in college seems like a nightmare, but for University of Missouri Senior Tom Coulter, that’s the best part of his day. Tom has always excelled in journalism. From a small high school freshman in introduction to journalism, to head sports editor and online editor, to a journalism major at Mizzou. The University of Missouri is widely known for being surrounded by the fun city of Columbia, and the huge school spirit, but it is also known for starting the first school of journalism in 1908. Mizzou has held some of the best journalists in the world, and is known for being some of the best prepared to work and contribute at their jobs.

This stays true to Coulter as he has been praised for his hard work ethic and dedication since he was a staff writer. After starting his freshman year of college by continuing his work in newspaper, Coulter climbed the ranks and covered stories on the city government for the Columbia Missourian. His work in this area led him to be eligible for even more opportunities, including an editorial internship with Street Sense Media the summer of 2017. Here he wrote stories about everything from school policies to to government bills. He has continued his work at the Missourian through this year, with a focus on data journalism. He also worked as an Editorial Intern for the Arkansas Times.

Despite having spent a majority of his career and adult life in Missouri, Coulter still has a great appreciation for his home state. “I grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas, and still root for the Razorbacks every time they play Mizzou,” he said.

His high school journalism advisor Carol Holiman has always had an admiration for Coulter as a great addition to the newspaper with an encouraging attitude and determination to always tell a story truthfully. “Tom was a great online editor and he showed early interest in aptitude in journalism,” Holiman said.