• January 21- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (No School)

• January 11- ACT Registration

• January 10- Report Cards Sent Home

• January 9-10- Spring Play Auditions 4 p.m.

Filed under Voices

New Mayor Promises to Increase Little Rock’s Inclusivity

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mayor Frank Scott Jr promises increased opportunities for minority communities during his term as Little Rock’s first black mayor. (Courtesy of Arkansas Times)

On Jan. 1, Democrat Frank Scott Jr was inaugurated as Little Rock’s first elected black mayor. As the previous State Highway Commissioner and executive of First Security Bank, Scott’s plan for his term as mayor primarily focuses improving transportation throughout the city and increasing the availability of jobs.

“Potential and ability are equally distributed across our neighborhoods in Little Rock, but opportunity, unfortunately, is not,” Scott said. “We need a clear vision for the kind of investments we need to make in our people, our infrastructure, and our institutions that can create the kind of local economy Little Rock deserves.”

In addition, Scott invisions an improved Little Rock School District (LRSD) that expands the opportunities offered to the youth. He recognizes that these opportunities are currently unevenly distributed, and hopes to establish after-school and summer programs and family and teacher supports for Little Rock’s public schools.

“We need to wrap our arms around the… remaining schools under state control with academic supports, mentorship programs and more impactful after-school and summer programming,” Scott said.

Scott also plans to extend opportunities to minorities in Little Rock. His Inclusion Agenda includes African-Americans, women, the LGBTQ community, Asian-Americans, and more. He hopes to encourage more diverse involvement in Little Rock’s government, police force, and judicial system.

“Rebranding the Racial and Cultural Diversity Commission is a step forward in signaling to the rest of the country, to citizens, families, and businesses, that we care about equity and opportunity for everyone,” Scott said. “We can’t unify Little Rock if every citizen doesn’t see themselves at the table.”

Scott’s election foreshadows positive changes in Little Rock’s future. Although our city has made substantial progress, Little Rock remains divided by race, primarily by Highway 630. The inauguration of a black mayor will hopefully help to bridge this racial and cultural divide.

“Scott will bring lots of positive changes to our city,” junior Eli Hicks said. “He has many progressive ideas that will help unify Little Rock.”

Having a young mayor with fresh, new ideas will be a refreshing change after the past 12 years with Mark Stodola as mayor. We think thirty-one year-old Scott will be able to implement policy and laws that reflect current issues and opinions, ensuring that Little Rock’s policies are progressive.

Information for this article is from frankscottjr.com.

About the Writer
Jessie Bates, Voices Editor

Junior Jessie Bates edits the Voices section of The Tiger. She has been working diligently for the paper for two years. Jessie enjoys writing editorials, but her favorite stories to write are ones that require research and critical thinking skills. In her spare time, she practices ballet, bakes delicious treats, and reads historical fiction novels. She is involved with Junior Civitan, National Honors Society, and the Memory Project, which seeks to preserve the history of Civil Rights at Central....

1 Comment

One Response to “New Mayor Promises to Increase Little Rock’s Inclusivity”

1. Cinthya Tumlison on January 24th, 2019 8:46 pm

You wrote, “African-Americans, women, the LGBTQ community, Asian-Americans, and more.” Did you make this list in order of importance and priority? You did not mention Latinos in your article. Are Latinos/Hispanics part of the new Mayor’s agenda?

• New Mayor Promises to Increase Little Rock’s Inclusivity

Community

Into the Spider-Verse Swings to the Top

Voices

Black Leaders Inspire Change, Creativity

Voices

Government Shutdown Creates National Crisis

Voices

Annual Grammy Awards Excites Students, Prompts Differing Opinions

Voices

‘Snow’ More Snow Days: New Policy Causes Students to Work on Snow Days

Voices

The One Where Friends Plans to Leave Netflix

Voices

Safe Spaces Provide Shelter for Minorities

Sports

The Tiger’s Stripes

Voices

Thanksgiving Creates Stress, Feeds Consumerism

Voices

One More On the List: Netflix Releases New Originals