Softball Team Makes Swings Toward Success

Varsity Lady Tigers Softball complete a historic season
2023-2024 Lady Tigers Softball Team. Photo Courtesy to @lrcentralsoftball on Instagram

In a season filled with victories and shattered records, the varsity girls’ softball team has reached new heights that they hope to carry into future seasons. Newly appointed head coach Donald Howard, who had previously served the team as an assistant coach, provided the team with stability in leadership throughout the season. Maya Buchanan, a returning player in her junior year, accredits much of the team’s success this season to Howard and his dedication to the team. 

“He really wanted to work with us, and we’re grateful to have somebody that cares about the team,” said Buchanan. 

A notable achievement accomplished by the varsity girls this season was setting the Arkansas state record for runs scored by a team in a single game with 41 runs to overtake Jonesboro in April. The success of the team has been in the collaboration of both returning and new players, and a common goal for success. For freshman Kinley Morrow, being a part of helping returning players reach new heights has inspired her performance this season. 

“They didn’t get to experience winning a lot, and now that we are, it was just really cool to watch them experience that,” said Morrow. 

The accomplishments that have been achieved by the team this year also stem from the strong connection within the team. As communication is vital on the field, supplementing that off the field is important to the team. 

We talk and have bonding days, which really helps us out on the field because we have to communicate. The connection we all have translates over onto the field.

— Buchanan

Though their season finished with a first-round exit in the playoffs, the team is now looking ahead and is excited for what is to come. With players who have experienced both highs and lows during their time, the girls hope that they can take what they have learned this year and continue their upward trajectory.

“Hopefully they take that mental toughness from these past years, take it into the next game, and fight throughout the whole season,” said Buchanan.