• May 22-25- Semester Exams

Filed under Sports

Boys Basketball Team Excited for Start of Season

Junior Dajun Brewer goes up for a layup as the Central basketball team prepares for the upcoming season during after school practice by running drills and scrimmaging. The season opener is November 16 at Forrest City.
(Photo by Annalise Novicky)

Junior Dajun Brewer goes up for a layup as the Central basketball team prepares for the upcoming season during after school practice by running drills and scrimmaging. The season opener is November 16 at Forrest City. (Photo by Annalise Novicky)

Basketball season is right around the corner, and the basketball team worked very hard for their first game, November 16 at Forest City.

The Tigers have a tough task ahead of them because they lost six seniors last year, four of whom are playing college basketball now, but coach Oliver Fitzpatrick is very excited and optimistic about this season.

“I like the group of seniors we have; many people don’t know them, and I think we have chance to prove some people wrong,” Fitzpatrick said.

The Tigers feature six seniors this year: Donald Richardson, Henry Dudley, PJ Hunter, Caleb Dallimore,Marquis Rudolph, and Clayton Murry.

Many people aren’t expecting much from the Tigers this year, but coach Fitzpatrick likes being the underdog. He’s ready to prove some people wrong.

“People don’t think we’re going to be that good this year, after we lost  four collegiate players from last year, but I think our players will rally around that and prove to be a nightmare for everyone else,” Fitzpatrick said.

The Tigers basketball team also features new assistant coach, Willie Larry. He is very excited about the opportunity at hand and is very committed to helping improve the team and will do whatever it takes to do so.

“My main goal includes helping student athletes realize their potential academically and athletically,” Larry said.

Not only are the coaches excited for the season to start, basketball star Donald Richardson, is very eager to start the season with his teammates.

“I’m excited to see all of the underclassman and new players to step up because I’m use to playing with a lot of upperclassmen,” Richardson said.

The Tigers are coming off a season where they reached the Final Four in the State Playoffs, and senior Donald Richardson expects nothing less than that from the team this season.

“This year I expect us to make it to at least final four just like last year,” Richardson said.

Coach Fitz and the rest of the Tiger players have been working really hard to have a great season. The Tigers first home game is on January 5 against rival  North Little Rock.

With the addition of a new assistant coach and some new players, the Tigers are poised for a good season. The games will be very exciting and all students should come out and support their Tigers as we all look forward to a great season.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Boys Basketball Team Excited for Start of Season”

1. Kennedy barnes on December 14th, 2017 10:27 am

I’m honestly going for the girls rather than the girls

[Reply]

2. Destini Dunbar on January 19th, 2018 2:00 pm

I’m sooooo excited for the boys and the girls!! W’s coming in!!

[Reply]

3. Samuel on January 19th, 2018 2:03 pm

Hopefully our basketball team can bring Ws to our school since our football team didn’t really do too well in their season.

[Reply]

• Boys Basketball Team Excited for Start of Season

Sports

Players Express Loss, Gratitude For Former Coaches

Sports

Busted Brackets Continue to Upset Students

Sports

Champions League Finals Sure to Excite

Sports

Tiger Softball Hits It Out Of The Park

Sports

Baseball Field Damage Causes Issues for Team

Sports

Olympics Brings World Together, Athletes Impress Spectators

Sports

Basketball Homecoming Game Excites Team

Sports

New Assistant Coach Brings Fiery Passion to Basketball Team

Sports

Football Season Excites During Offseason

Sports

No Easy Way Out: The NFL’s Catch-22