• December 14-19- Semester Exams

• December 14-15- All-Region Jazz Clinic

• December 8- ACT

• December 5- Senior Panoramic

Filed under Features

Crazy Rich Asians Provides Original, Romantic Movie

Back to Article
Back to Article

(From left) Awkwafina, Nico Santos, and Constance Wu walk arm in arm at a party at Wu's characters boyfriend's grandma's house, setting the scene for the rest of the movie. (photo courtesy of the Inquirer)

Whether it was the luxurious lifestyle or the well-thought out music, many viewers loved the film Crazy Rich Asians.

In this movie, Rachel Chu played by Constance Wu, is invited to travel to Singapore for her boyfriend’s brother’s wedding. When she arrives she finds out that her boyfriend, Nick Young, played by Henry Golding, is one of the most eligible bachelors in Singapore from one of the richest families. Rachel deals with backlash from jealous socialites and Nick’s family.

A lot of romance movies tend to follow the same kind of story and blend together, but this movie stood out to me because it wasn’t like some of the same story lines I have already seen millions times in other films.

While the characters in many romance movies seem shallow, I think the Crazy Rich Asians characters were well-developed. The main character, Rachel, while still head over heels for Nick, has her own unique qualities and is independent. Her entire character isn’t just based on her relationship with her boyfriend. Nick Young, unlike most love interests, stands up for Rachel and is supportive instead of seeming fairly indifferent to her feelings. Though most of his family is very upfront with Rachel about their objections to her and Nick’s relationship, Nick continues to be unswayed by their opinions.The relationship between Rachel and her friend, Peik Lin Goh played by Awkwafina, provides most of the comic relief in the movie because of Peik’s energetic commentary.

The bright visuals that accompanied the movie made it really fun to watch. There were luxurious buildings, vibrant costumes, and beautiful scenes.

All together the movie was fun to watch and went beyond most romance movies with intriguing character development.

About the Writer
Annie Simon, Online Editor

Annie Simon is the 2018-2019 Online Editor for The Tiger. This is her third year on staff; previously she worked as a Staff Writer and Lifestyle Editor. Annie works hard to run the Tiger’s online site but in her free time she enjoys many hobbies. Annie loves to bake chocolate chip cookies and occasionally bring them for her classmates. She also likes to dance ballet, tap, and jazz at Dancer’s Corner in Little Rock. She likes to watch Netflix and is a professional at binge-watching shows, specifically...

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Crazy Rich Asians Provides Original, Romantic Movie”

1. Fran Delacey on September 19th, 2018 11:44 am

looking good kids, keep it up.

2. Jacinta Tran on September 21st, 2018 12:51 pm

I agree that the movie is fun to watch. Crazy Rich Asians shows the audience a little snippet of what being Asian is like sometimes. It was a really good movie.

3. hannah on September 21st, 2018 2:23 pm

i love this movie

4. Lanae on September 21st, 2018 2:32 pm

I have been excited to see this movie since I first saw the trailer. It has a wonderful storyline and a fantastic cast with great and representation for a minority.

• Crazy Rich Asians Provides Original, Romantic Movie

Features

Arkansas State Fair Returns, Transitions into Fall

Features

Teachers Share Meaningful Tattoos

Features

Staff Reflects On Summer Hits, Albums

Features

James Humphrey Crosses Streets into Our Hearts

Features

Countdown to May 22: Democratic Primary Debate Coming to Philander Smith

Features

Poke Hula Makes Waves in Little Rock

Features

Fortnite Sweeps Nation, Video Gamers

Features

Students Discuss Environmental Friendly Clothing Options

Features

Lush Cosmetics Good for Environment, Body

Features

Church League Basketball Takes Over Season