• March 29- Blood Drive

• March 27- Cheer Clinic @ 4:30 (gym)

• March 16-24- Spring Break

• March 14- Health Fair

• March 8-9- Spring Musical

Filed under Features

Student Rappers Hope to Gain Influence, Relate to Listeners

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Muhsin Sheikh maintains his rapping career while still attending school. In his artistic endeavors, Muhsin focuses on gaining more followers and influence within the rapping community. (photo by Casey Carter)

Soundcloud rappers have made a name for themselves at Central. They write and produce their own songs, and connect with their listeners through their beats and lyrics. No matter how people perceive their careers, they take themselves seriously.

“What I enjoy is when I make love songs,” senior Muhsin Sheikh said. “Because it’s more real and I love art, and love is art.”

Muhsin feels like he has a connection to his listeners, and he knows pretty well the demographics of who he’s reaching out to. He recognizes that his influence will grow as he grows older, and so will the influence of others.

“I’m so young,” Muhsin said. “Our generation is taking over soon, so it’s gonna be our world one day.”

Some of Muhsin’s favorite artists are Phil Collins, H.E.R, Maroon 5, J. Cole, and Lana del Rey. Muhsin draws inspiration from them and wants to continue his rapping career because he wants to be among the ranks of these artists.

“I wanted to be a star, like Michael Jackson,” Muhsin said. “Didn’t matter what genre I did, as long as my name is on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.”

Muhsin is realistic though, and he realizes that he will have to make more money and acquire more fame at some point if he is to continue rapping. He knows his dreams may be fleeting if he doesn’t earn more influence somewhat soon.

“If I don’t get some clout when I’m a sophomore in college, than it’s a quits,” Muhsin said.

Muhsin said he’s performed live at places, such as parties. He really enjoyed this and said he thought that it was awesome. He also enjoys collaborating and sharing ideas.

If you wish to go listen to Muhsin’s music, his SoundCloud is @lil mozini.

Another rapper at Central is Sophomore Jonathan Coulter, whose rapper name is “Guwop”. This nickname became associated with him a few years ago, and since then most everyone calls him Guwop.

“Back in like eighth grade I used to always have money or get money, and people started calling it guap,” Jonathan said. “People would say he’s getting guap or he’s getting that guwop .and I just ran with it as my name. Since then, everybody’s called me it.”

Jonathan came to rapping in a common way, through freestyle. His friends and he would put on a beat and just start rapping to it.

“Everybody would hype me up,” Jonathan said. “They’d tell me to get in the studio until I actually did it.”

A couple of his favorite rap songs he’s written are “Dear Momma” and “I Don’t Know”. He feels like his listeners really respond to those songs and that he relates to them through these songs.

“I feel like I can give them certain feelings or comfort; like they can listen to “I Don’t Know” and know that somebody is feeling the same way they are,” Jonathan said.

Jonathan says that he usually raps about his life. He realizes that not all of his music is happy, and that sometimes life is sad, and he feels like he can connect to his listeners through this. His idols are Chief Keef and Slim Jesus, and he wants for his rapping career to make him famous.

If you want to listen to Jonathan, visit @Guwop on SoundCloud.

Some people almost look at the young rapping community as if it’s a joke, but these rappers take themselves seriously. They write about real problems and real successes in their lives, and they have fun doing it.

About the Writer
Jakob Mueller, Staff Writer

Senior Jakob Mueller is a first year Staff Writer who describes himself as approachable, friendly, and indecisive. Jakob has been playing tennis for six years outside of school and has been on the tennis team since freshman year. Outside of school, he volunteers by assisting his coach in teaching younger kids tennis. Jakob wishes to continue playing throughout college but does not see tennis as a future career path. Jakob has considered reporting news as a career because he enjoys investigating events...

16 Comments

16 Responses to “Student Rappers Hope to Gain Influence, Relate to Listeners”

1. TeLeah Allen on January 10th, 2019 12:58 pm

I think making music is a cool hobby to have, and even better is when you can make a career out of it. It’s so unfortunate how becoming a rapper is not as realistic as working behind a desk answering calls all day, but I understand that the music industry is very picky. I also agree with Muhsin when he said that this generation is taking over. It’s our time to shine and I do still have hope that our generation can change the world for the better!

2. Shehzad Sayyed on January 10th, 2019 1:01 pm

I thought this was a very interesting article

3. Brendon Cyrus on January 10th, 2019 1:08 pm

I did not know that these students wanted to be rappers.

4. Emma Jackson on January 10th, 2019 2:37 pm

I thought it was a good article. It was well written.

5. Naudia Dixon on January 10th, 2019 2:38 pm

I think it was really cool and the fact that I have a class with hm made it more interesting

6. Maddie Smith on January 10th, 2019 2:38 pm

Dope

7. Ariyanna D. on January 10th, 2019 2:40 pm

Its interesting hearing about some of the careers that are being pursed by my classmates.

8. Bert Lewis on January 10th, 2019 2:41 pm

I Don’t Know is one of my new favorite songs

9. olive shuffield on January 10th, 2019 2:46 pm

Great article! I think this was a great way to learn about people at our school.

10. luke mcknight on January 11th, 2019 9:19 am

bars

11. Jack Quillin on January 11th, 2019 12:59 pm

This was an interesting article

12. Nick Kim on January 11th, 2019 1:00 pm

These dudes over here are trying to gain clout and make a name for themselves. It’s quite admirable that at a young age people are trying to make a differance in their community.

13. Asher Hastings on January 17th, 2019 12:07 pm

Guwop is the best rapper in LR. Sorry wooda.

14. josiah on February 19th, 2019 3:01 pm

Mozin is the best rapper in lr hands down.

15. lil ham on March 4th, 2019 10:59 am

mozin go hard

16. lil ham on March 4th, 2019 11:00 am

Mozin is hot

• Student Rappers Hope to Gain Influence, Relate to Listeners

Features

University African Restaurant Provides Full Bellies, Cultural Experience

Features

Baldwin’s Visually Breathtaking Film Explores the Hardships of Black Love

Features

Glass Introduces Unexpected Superheroes

Features

Cotillions Provide Rite of Passage into Womanhood for African American Seniors

Features

Students Critical in Election; Young Voters Voice Opinions

Features

Arkansas State Fair Returns, Transitions into Fall

Features

Teachers Share Meaningful Tattoos

Features

Staff Reflects On Summer Hits, Albums

Features

Crazy Rich Asians Provides Original, Romantic Movie

Features

James Humphrey Crosses Streets into Our Hearts