Annual Grammy Awards Excites Students, Prompts Differing Opinions

(art by Lily Ryall)

Once every year, the best of music is celebrated at the Grammy Awards. There is much to look forward to at this event, with stunning fashion, great music, and a range of artists and celebrities.

While most of the awards categories aren’t as contested, the award for Record of the Year is one surrounded by much speculation and opinions. The nominees for Record of the Year are “I Like It” by Cardi B, “The Joke” by Brandi Carlile, “This is America” by Childish Gambino, “God’s Plan” by Drake, “Shallow” by Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper, “All the Stars” by Kendrick Lamar & SZA, “Rockstar” by Post Malone, and “The Middle” by Zedd, Maren Morris and Grey. All of these songs are impactful for different reasons, and all of them had a part in defining popular culture during 2018.

The awards aren’t held until February 10, but students are already forming opinions and placing bets on who will win the coveted Record of the Year.

Junior Jaylen Simmons is casting his bets on “All the Stars” because, “Black Panther was the greatest movie that came out in 2018, and the music in it was really good.”

“All the artists that worked on this song [“All the Stars”] collaborated really well,” junior Zoe Holland said.

But, other students have differing opinions on who should win Record of the Year.

Freshman Allison Gadberry says she thinks “This is America” should be the winner because “the song was really catchy, and had a great message. And the music video for it was incredible!”  

Junior Keeling Baker is torn between “God’s Plan” and “This is America.”

“I think either song should win because of what Drake did with the ‘God’s Plan’ music video, and the message behind ‘This is America,’” Keeling said.

No matter their opinions, as February 10 comes closer and closer, students will be gearing up for the Grammy Awards with much anticipation.