• April 26- Clash of the Tigers 2:45 pm (Quigley)

• April 24- Administrative Professional Appreciation Day

• April 22- Earth Day

• April 18- ACT Aspire (10th Grade)

• April 16- ACT Aspire (9th Grade)

• April 13- Prom 8pm (GSA)

• April 12- Dance Team Tryouts

• April 11- ACT Aspire (10th Grade)

• April 9- ACT Aspire (9th Grade)

• April 8-9- Dance Team Auditions

Filed under School News

Lost and Found

Scruggs Reminisces About ‘Lost Year’

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lost and Found

David Scruggs visits with the journalism department at Central on Feb. 22 to retell the experiences he went through during Central’s lost school year of 1958-59. (photo by Mollygrace Harrell)

Former Tiger sports editor David Scruggs was a student at Central in a troublesome time. In the school year of 1958-59, all Little Rock schools were closed and many seniors were deprived of graduating from Central.

“There were rumours that summer that Gov. Faubus would close schools,” Scruggs said. “But we didn’t believe that would ever happen. The Monday before school began, Gov. Faubus said the schools would be closed the next day. And they stayed closed.”

While the school was shut down and classes were not maintained, some school functions still occurred. The teachers had to come to school every day during the year, and the journalism department was maintained.

“I covered football games on Fridays and came in on Saturday mornings to write stories. The football team had to play games all year. We prepared stories to release for when the school reopened, but it never did,” Scruggs said. “Because students weren’t allowed to come to school, teachers would spend their time teaching each other. They got paid full salary for the entire year.”

One of the most influential aspects of the Lost Year on students was the media and news. Journalists would be around the school trying to catch students on their way out of the building to interview about the issues.

“I think the media overplayed that somewhat. They made it sound a whole lot worse than it was,” Scruggs said, “We wanted to go to school just as the nine black students wanted to go to school.”

About the Writers
Jakob Mueller, Staff Writer
Senior Jakob Mueller is a first year Staff Writer who describes himself as approachable, friendly, and indecisive. Jakob has been playing tennis for six years outside of school and has been on the tennis team since freshman year. Outside of school, he volunteers by assisting his coach in teaching younger kids tennis. Jakob wishes to continue playing throughout college but does not see tennis as a future career path. Jakob has considered reporting news as a career because he enjoys investigating events and information as well as history and politics. Jakob remembers dreams of his best friend and he being President and Vice President alongside each other. For the time being, Jakob spends his free time playing with his dog Jack, going out with friends, and watching television. Like one of Jakob's stories? Let him know! Email him at [email protected]
Mollygrace Harrell, Staff Writer
Junior Mollygrace Harrell is serving her first year on the Tiger as a Staff Writer. Mollygrace joined staff because she likes to write, meet new people, and enjoys journalism as a hobby. Her favorite subject at school is English, and she is looking forward to AP Language and Composition, because it involves two things she really enjoys: rhetoric and analysis. Mollygrace moved to Little Rock from North Carolina after fourth grade, and has attended Roberts Elementary School, the Anthony School, and Central since her arrival. She enjoys helping others, as she is very active volunteering with her church and has joined a group called Fellowship Espanol, where she has received the opportunity to go to Guatemala for a month where she aided in disaster relief after a volcanic eruption and helped teach English to children. Her hobbies include reading, writing, and practicing yoga. Like one of Mollygrace's stories? Let her know! Email her at [email protected]
Annie Fortune, Staff Writer
 Annie Fortune is a sophomore staff writer for the Tiger. For all you Bachelor fans out there, Annie is right with you every Monday night, intently watching, in suspense. She even has a ritual of watching it with her friends each week.  Not only does Annie adore The Bachelor, but she also loves being outdoors, going to concerts with her dad, and hanging out with her friends. Even though Annie loves doing all these fun things, she is definitely focused on school and sees herself becoming a child psychologist. However, her ultimate dream job would be commentating The Bachelor just like Chris Harrison. Annie is a very strong Democrat and is involved in The Young Democrats club at Central. She loves writing and can not wait for this year to write for the Tiger staff! Like one of Annie's stories? Let her know! Email her at [email protected]
Jane Ellen Dial, Staff Writer
A sophomore and Staff Writer for the Tiger, Jane Ellen Dial enjoys keeping up with fashion, as well as watching One Tree Hill, Gilmore Girls, and Big Brother. She has two dogs, Sugar (cairn terrier) and Scarlet (boxer), and an older brother who also attended Central and was the Editor of the Tiger. She uses YouTube to help stay up to date with fashion trends. Jane Ellen hopes to someday go to college and become a teacher, possibly to work in interior design, or fashion journalism. Jane Ellen is very excited to be on staff and is looking forward to the rest of the year! Like one of Jane Ellen's stories? Let her know! Email her at [email protected]
3 Comments

3 Responses to “Lost and Found”

1. Shehzad Sayyed on March 29th, 2019 12:49 pm

Great story

2. Emma Jackson on March 29th, 2019 2:38 pm

That’s pretty interesting I didn’t realize that they still had school functions going on during that time.

3. Noah Parker on April 1st, 2019 9:05 am

I thought that this article was very interesting in the fact that it makes you think outside of the norm, and it’s not just some fairy tale, it really happened.

• Lost and Found

School News

Distribution Day Causes Chaos, Excites Students

• Lost and Found

Community

Friends, Family Reminisce On Life of Beloved Teacher

• Lost and Found

School News

Students Spend Weeks in Summer School, Lose Sanity

• Lost and Found

School News

Tigers Take on ASPA, Come Out on Top

• Lost and Found

Community

Former Editor Writes Future

• Lost and Found

School News

Summer Classes Offer Advantage, Teach Life Skills

• Lost and Found

School News

Central Students Sweep Awards at Arkansas Young Artists’ Association

• Lost and Found

School News

Importance of Black History Month Reigns Strong

• Lost and Found

Photography

Students Express Holiday Spirit Through Sweaters

• Lost and Found

School News

Special Education Department Head Deloney Competes on Family Feud