• March 29- Blood Drive

• March 27- Cheer Clinic @ 4:30 (gym)

• March 16-24- Spring Break

• March 14- Health Fair

• March 8-9- Spring Musical

Filed under School News

Lost and Found

Scruggs Reminisces About ‘Lost Year’

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lost and Found

David Scruggs visits with the journalism department at Central on Feb. 22 to retell the experiences he went through during Central’s lost school year of 1958-59. (photo by Mollygrace Harrell)

Former Tiger sports editor David Scruggs was a student at Central in a troublesome time. In the school year of 1958-59, all Little Rock schools were closed and many seniors were deprived of graduating from Central.

“There were rumours that summer that Gov. Faubus would close schools,” Scruggs said. “But we didn’t believe that would ever happen. The Monday before school began, Gov. Faubus said the schools would be closed the next day. And they stayed closed.”

While the school was shut down and classes were not maintained, some school functions still occurred. The teachers had to come to school every day during the year, and the journalism department was maintained.

“I covered football games on Fridays and came in on Saturday mornings to write stories. The football team had to play games all year. We prepared stories to release for when the school reopened, but it never did,” Scruggs said. “Because students weren’t allowed to come to school, teachers would spend their time teaching each other. They got paid full salary for the entire year.”

One of the most influential aspects of the Lost Year on students was the media and news. Journalists would be around the school trying to catch students on their way out of the building to interview about the issues.

“I think the media overplayed that somewhat. They made it sound a whole lot worse than it was,” Scruggs said, “We wanted to go to school just as the nine black students wanted to go to school.”

About the Writers
Jakob Mueller, Staff Writer

Senior Jakob Mueller is a first year Staff Writer who describes himself as approachable, friendly, and indecisive. Jakob has been playing tennis for six years outside of school and has been on the tennis team since freshman year. Outside of school, he volunteers by assisting his coach in teaching younger kids tennis. Jakob wishes to continue playing throughout college but does not see tennis as a future career path. Jakob has considered reporting news as a career because he enjoys investigating events...

Mollygrace Harrell, Staff Writer

Junior Mollygrace Harrell is serving her first year on the Tiger as a Staff Writer. Mollygrace joined staff because she likes to write, meet new people, and enjoys journalism as a hobby. Her favorite subject at school is English, and she is looking forward to AP Language and Composition, because it involves two things she really enjoys: rhetoric and analysis. Mollygrace moved to Little Rock from North Carolina after fourth grade, and has attended Roberts Elementary School, the Anthony School, and...

Annie Fortune, Staff Writer

Annie Fortune is a sophomore staff writer for the Tiger. For all you Bachelor fans out there, Annie is right with you every Monday night, intently watching, in suspense. She even has a ritual of watching it with her friends each week.  Not only does Annie adore The Bachelor, but she also loves being outdoors, going to concerts with her dad, and hanging out with her friends. Even though Annie loves doing all these fun things, she is definitely focused on school and sees herself becoming a child...

Jane Ellen Dial, Staff Writer

A sophomore and Staff Writer for the Tiger, Jane Ellen Dial enjoys keeping up with fashion, as well as watching One Tree Hill, Gilmore Girls, and Big Brother. She has two dogs, Sugar (cairn terrier) and Scarlet (boxer), and an older brother who also attended Central and was the Editor of the Tiger. She uses YouTube to help stay up to date with fashion trends. Jane Ellen hopes to someday go to college and become a teacher, possibly to work in interior design, or fashion journalism. Jane Ellen is very...