• April 26- Clash of the Tigers 2:45 pm (Quigley)

• April 24- Administrative Professional Appreciation Day

• April 22- Earth Day

• April 18- ACT Aspire (10th Grade)

• April 16- ACT Aspire (9th Grade)

• April 13- Prom 8pm (GSA)

• April 12- Dance Team Tryouts

• April 11- ACT Aspire (10th Grade)

• April 9- ACT Aspire (9th Grade)

• April 8-9- Dance Team Auditions

Filed under Features

Breen Uses Experience to Become Influential Journalist

+Daniel+Breen+is+heard+on+air+with+KUAR+public+radio+frequency+89.1.+Breen+says+that+the+most+enjoyable+part+of+his+job+includes+speaking+to+to+listeners+across+the+state.+%0A%E2%80%9CIt%27s+pretty+cool+that+people+in+Pine+Bluff%2C+Conway+and+really+all+over+the+world+can+listen+to+the+news+that+we%27ve+all+worked+hard+to+write%2C%E2%80%9D+Breen+said.+%E2%80%9CThere%27s+also+a+really+great+feeling+of+satisfaction+that+comes+with+finishing+a+story+after+putting+a+lot+of+work+into+it+and+having+double-checked+everything.%E2%80%9D+%28photo+courtesy+of+Daniel+Breen%29
Back to Article
Back to Article

Daniel Breen is heard on air with KUAR public radio frequency 89.1. Breen says that the most enjoyable part of his job includes speaking to to listeners across the state. 
“It's pretty cool that people in Pine Bluff, Conway and really all over the world can listen to the news that we've all worked hard to write,” Breen said. “There's also a really great feeling of satisfaction that comes with finishing a story after putting a lot of work into it and having double-checked everything.” (photo courtesy of Daniel Breen)

Daniel Breen is heard on air with KUAR public radio frequency 89.1. Breen says that the most enjoyable part of his job includes speaking to to listeners across the state. “It's pretty cool that people in Pine Bluff, Conway and really all over the world can listen to the news that we've all worked hard to write,” Breen said. “There's also a really great feeling of satisfaction that comes with finishing a story after putting a lot of work into it and having double-checked everything.” (photo courtesy of Daniel Breen)

Once a school news editor on the Tiger, KUAR radio host and reporter Daniel Breen has turned his experience into a real journalism career.

After graduating from Central, Breen originally planned on studying classical guitar performance at the University of Memphis with a full ride. After remembering his love for writing and journalism, he transferred to the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (UALR) to complete a Bachelor’s degree in mass communication with an emphasis on journalism.

Working on the Tiger definitely gave me my first real taste of real-world journalism. It taught me how to be a good interviewer and really how to write in the style that’s expected of you in journalism,” Breen said. “We also learned a lot of the history behind it, which has definitely come in handy.”

Breen now works for KUAR, a public radio station licenced to UALR.

I’m a reporter and a host, which means I write the news then read it live on the air during our afternoon newscasts. I’m also involved in Arkansas Public Media, a regional nonprofit journalism collaboration between all the public radio stations across the state,” Breen said. “At KUAR I also a produce a lot of our original programming, and I do a lot of freelance production work for podcasts and different media companies.”

Though Breen enjoys his job, every job comes with its downsides.

I have something like 15,000 unread emails in my inbox, all press releases and spam,” he said.

Breen believes that with growing forms of social and online media journalism provides an essential part of today’s society.

“Journalism’s important because it really is a check and balance on certain aspects of our political system,” Breen said. “It’s really the only job outside of the political system itself where you’re tasked with explaining what’s happening in government and how it will affect all citizens.”

About the Writers
Lola Simmons, Print Editor
Lola Simmons is very excited to be the Executive Editor of the Tiger her senior year. She is also the President of the Gay Straight Alliance. In Lola’s free time she loves watching Shane Dawson Youtube videos, playing soccer, and walking her dogs. On a snow day you can find Lola sledding and drinking hot chocolate. Her favorite celebrity is Gucci Mane because he is a good rapper, and she says he is “adorable.” During her weekly movie night, she usually watches horror movies. Like one of Lola's stories? Let Lola know! Email her at [email protected]
Annie Simon, Online Editor
Annie Simon is the 2018-2019 Online Editor for The Tiger. This is her third year on staff; previously she worked as a Staff Writer and Lifestyle Editor. Annie works hard to run the Tiger’s online site but in her free time she enjoys many hobbies. Annie loves to bake chocolate chip cookies and occasionally bring them for her classmates. She also likes to dance ballet, tap, and jazz at Dancer’s Corner in Little Rock. She likes to watch Netflix and is a professional at binge-watching shows, specifically NCIS with her dog Lola. Annie claims that if she could meet any celebrity, she would want to meet the comedian John Mulaney because he is “absolutely hilarious.” In the future, Annie would love to open her own bakery and sell her delicious treats to people all around the state. Like one of Annie's stories? Let her know! Email her at [email protected]