Girls’ Basketball Team Makes History

Boys become winningest 6A basketball program
Coach Marlon Williams and the girls’ team celebrate their first ever state championship title in the locker room after the game. Photo by Meredith Lipsey

History was made March 8. Both the boys’ and girls’ basketball teams won the 6A State Championship, marking the girls’ first ever state title and boys’ twentieth. Before the teams headed to play at the Hot Springs Convention Center, a sendoff took place on the Blacktop in support of the teams. Hours later, the girls prevailed over the Conway Wampus Cats 58-40, and the boys defeated the Bryant Hornets 63-55.

“I was very excited when both teams won. It was a huge milestone for Central. Most people don’t know kids who get to play in the championship games, but being able to win both of them is just the greatest,” senior Annor Boateng said.

Boateng said the Hornets were always hard to beat.

“When we played against Bryant the last time, we knew they were going to be tough opponents. They really humbled us, and then it gave us a better reason to embrace the game’s competitive nature. We knew we had to get even, so that really helped us win,” Boateng said.

Boateng was also named the boys’ most valuable player (MVP). 

“I didn’t even know I was going to be MVP. Honestly, I’m still not sure I deserve it. I wasn’t playing the game to win. I played for fun because it was my last high school game, and I just so happened to win this award,” said Boateng. “In that game, you’re always gonna have fun and just pour your heart out.”

Similarly, senior Jordan Marshall was named the girls’ MVP. While Marshall said she is grateful for the title, she owed the win to her fellow teammates.

“During the game, I was not expecting MVP because [senior Olivia Montgomery] had such a good game. When they gave it to me, I honestly thought about giving the award to Olivia, but I don’t think I can do that,” said Marshall. “When I did my interview, I told them that Olivia was the best player in that game. Then, it felt good to be MVP because I earned it. I did a lot to get to where I am now.”

Marshall said the opportunity to participate in the post-game interview was particularly meaningful.

“Being able to put on all those headsets during the interviews made me feel very special, because I’m gonna go to play in college, so it gave me a preview of what my future is going to hold,”

— Marshall

Marlon Williams, the girls’ head coach, felt proud to bring home the team’s first state title. 

“The fact that the girls’ basketball team had not won a state championship before now is kind of mind-boggling to me. Being the first coach to accomplish that is gonna take a lot of time for me to process. It’s very gratifying and very rewarding to be the first,” said Williams.  

Williams also thanked the student section for energizing his team.

“There was so much energy in the building because of the student section. With all the energy in the building and our fans’ enthusiasm, it was easy to get in the playoffs,” said Williams. 

Boys basketball coach Brian Ross credited the program’s last season for its impressive record this year.

“This win was really big for our seniors. Really, the results of this season started last year when we lost in the state tournament. We thought we had a really good chance to win the championship last year, and we didn’t,” Ross said. “So this year, we started early by identifying where we wanted to end, and those guys stayed focused on finishing the right way. I’m really proud of their work.”