10 Movies I Love About Love

• 10 Things I Hate About You
Heath Ledger dances and sings to the pessimistic protagonist, Kat, in “10 Things I Hate About You.”

This 1999 romance-comedy is a modern adaptation of The Taming of the Shrew by Shakespeare set in Seattle during the late 90’s. The movie follows the story of “New Boy” Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) who falls in love with Bianca (Larisa Oleynik) at first sight, but her overprotective father prohibits her from dating until her older sister does. The only problem is, Bianca’s older sister, Kat (Julia Stiles), is coined as the school “shrew” by her peers for her lack of sociability and rude demeanor, and is against the idea of dating. It has the perfect mixture of amazing music, fashion, and personality. The movie’s soundtrack is peak rom-com music with late-90s and early-2000’s vibes such as “I Want You to Want Me” and “Cruel to Be Kind” by Letters to Cleo. It also has late 90s-2000s fashion which is used to emphasize the difference between characters and their personalities. The story has a perfect balance of hilarious comedy scenes and endearing romance scenes. It is my idea of the perfect rom-com.

• How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days 
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

This 2003 romantic comedy is the epitome of early 2000s rom-coms. It follows a young journalist Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) who is writing an article about how to drive away a guy in ten days. When looking for her guy, she meets Ben Berry (Matthew McConaughey) who is proving to his boss he can make any girl fall in love with him in ten days. Though the second-hand embarrassment throughout the movie is next-level, you can’t help but to fall in love with their relationship. The story also has great character evolution. Not only is the romance and comedy good, but the mood of the movie is unbeatable. The New York City setting amplifies this fast-paced, fashionable film. The mix of bright colors, up-beat music, and early 2000s fashion makes this movie the ultimate rom-com.

• Red, White, and Royal Blue 
Red, White, and Royal Blue

The 2023 movie, Red White and Royal Blue, is an adaptation of the Red White and Royal Blue novel by Casey McQuiston. This story follows The First Son of the United States, Alex Claremont-Diaz (Taylor Zakhar Perez), in his journey of falling in love with the beloved Prince of England, Prince Henry of Wales (Nicholas Galitzine). Alex’s internalized feelings of hatred start to dissipate as he realizes he is in love with Henry, which can be appreciated by romance lovers due to the different tropes at play. While the movie is very different from the book, it is still an incredible story. The sarcastic back and forth between characters pulls you in, but the emotion makes you stay. Though fairly recent, because of the character’s unmatched chemistry and its portrayal of their emotional depth, this movie is still able to compete with some of the most beloved rom-com classics. There is also representation for marginalized groups and stigmatized topics which creates an inclusive atmosphere. The sly hints of comedy and the heart-wrenching love between the two main characters makes this movie one of the top rom-coms. 

• Notting Hill 
Notting Hill

Directed by Roger Mitchell, Notting Hill (1999) is very different from the other rom-coms on this list. The story takes place in the district of Notting Hill in London where bookstore-owner William Thacker (Hugh Grant) leads a simple life. That is until the famous American actress, Anna Scott (Julia Roberts), comes into his bookstore. As they go on with their lives, they struggle to reconcile their extremely different occupations. This movie has a very down-to-earth and realistic main character which gives the viewer a sense of relatability. The back and forth of embarrassing efforts the two of them make to prove their love make their love envious yet effortlessly lovable. The characters’ sense of humor and embarrassing jokes makes them charming. This movie is a prime example of how love isn’t how it is in the movies. This sentiment is encapsulated by the famous line said by the character Anna Scott, “but I’m also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.” It’s more calm and simple which contrasts many other romcoms, yet it’s one of the best that will definitely establish your faith in love and grand gestures. 

• She’s All That 
She’s All That

The less popular 1999 film, She’s All That, really captures the high school experience and the love story of many teenagers’ dreams. Though hard to watch due to the second hand embarrassment at some points, the film is very genuine and heart warming. It follows the most popular senior, Zach Siler (Freddie Prinze Jr.), and his journey to win a bet after spring break when his popular girlfriend, Taylor Vaughan (Jodi Lyn O’Keefe), dumped him for a tv-star. To win the bet, he has six weeks to earn the trust of the ‘nerdy’ girl, Laney Boggs (Rachael Leigh Cook), and make her prom queen. Through his journey to make Laney prom queen, he learns about himself and his future. This movie is definitely more cringy and awkward at some points, but totally worth it. “Kiss Me” by Sixpence None the Richer plays during the classic scene when Laney walks down the stairs to reveal her “new” self to Zach. This movie makes you fall in love with their relationship as they learn more about the other which makes the ending so heart-warming. It really hits all of the points of the “dreamy” love story and rom-com plot. 

• Love Actually 
Love Actually

Though this 2003 romantic-comedy is technically considered a Christmas movie, I still think it is one of the best rom-coms. It switches between multiple different characters and couples that are counting down the weeks until Christmas and stars Hugh Grant, Emma Thompson, Kiera Knightley, Alan Rickman, and many more. Though it can be confusing at some moments, the ending makes up for it because all loose ends come together, which is one of my personal favorite things to happen in a story. The humor in this film is really unmatched and will have you dying laughing despite its sometimes cringe-worthy nature. You’ll also be giddy with excitement and heart-broken all at the same time because of the different romances. It’s an uplifting and heartwarming film that honestly makes you appreciate the world and love it’s filled with. By the end of the film, the famous line from it, If you look for it, I’ve got a sneaky feeling you’ll find that love actually is all around,” resonates with the audience. 

• When Harry Met Sally  
When Harry Met Sally

This late eighties film (1989) is the embodiment of a fall rom-com. It follows thestory of the complete opposite characters, Sally Albright (Meg Ryan) and Harry Burns (Bill Crystal), who drive together from their college town of Chicago to New York City. Through the trip, they learn they don’t like each other very much, but over the next years of their life, they become friends and eventually more. The comedy in this movie is incredible with all of the witty and sarcastic remarks. Though very embarrassing at some points, their friendship will warm your heart. It also ends with a grand gesture that will have you on the edge of your seat hoping for them to end together. This movie is perfect for a cozy night with their charming love story. It will make you believe in acts of love and fate again. 

• 13 going on 30 
13 Going on 30

This 2004 rom-com starring Jennifer Garner is fun, girly, and also heartbreaking.It follows the thirteen-year-old girl, Jenna Rink (Jennifer Garner), who just wants to be “thirty, flirty, and thriving” which is exactly what she gets on her thirteenth birthday, but she doesn’t realize how much had changed over the seventeen years she skipped. The chemistry between the characters, setting, and plot are brought to life in bubbly scenes that will make you want to be transported into the film. While most of the movie is colorful and upbeat, it actually breaks my heart in the end. It really is an emotional roller coaster that will keep you enthralled. 

• Clueless
Clueless

Though one of my favorite films, I don’t immediately think of it as a romance movie because I focus more on the other elements of the film which is why it’s lower on the list. It follows a naive teenage girl, Cher Horowitz (Alicia Silverstone), through high school and her experience of navigating school, friends, driving, and most importantly boys. After ruling boys out of her life, she helps others find love instead, but she ends up realizing the girl she made popular became more popular than her. This makes her reconsider her life and what her ex step-brother told her. In the end, she ends up finding what has been missing, but it’s not what she expected. The main aspect of this film that really encapsulates me is the fashion. The film is famous for its’ very out-there yet chic fashion such as the scene of Cher in her yellow plaid skirt and blazer. It feels as though someone made a movie about being a stereotypical teenage girl which is right up my alley. It also has topics which I’m sure align with experiences every girl has faced. The light mood, sarcastic comedy, and charming love story make this movie one of my favorites.  

• Flipped 
Flipped

This adolescent love story set in the 1950s is definitely one to consider. It follows a young girl, Julie Baker (Madeline Carroll), and boy, Bryce Loski (Callan McAuliffe) who are neighbors. Bryce has never liked Julie because she’s been in love with him, but feelings of love turn into hatred as she finds out what he thinks of her. Bryce has always wanted her to hate him, but now, he doesn’t know how to feel about her. Not only is this film set in the 1950s which is such an adored time, but it is also a childhood lovers story which is probably one of my favorite tropes. It’s a genuine story with deep issues and characters. The music, setting, and style really teleports the viewer to being a child in that time period. It also gives bothe characters’ perspectives which really adds depth to the plot. Characters go above and beyond which enhances your faith in young love. It’s one of my personal favorite movies and should really get more recognition. 

Runner ups: These movies may not fall into the rom-com section, but they are definitely some of the best romance or comedy movies that really fit into this list. 

• The Notebook
  • Little Women  
  • Princess Diaries 
  • Pride and Prejudice