Renaissance: Film vs. Tour

It seems that I can just never get enough of Beyonce. I had the lovely honor of seeing her live on her Renaissance tour and her movie that recently came out in the cinema. Both of them of course centered around Beyonce. But, the difference about the concert was I got to physically feel the beats of the music and experience Beyonce live. But during the movie, “Renaissance: A Film by Beyonce,” they showed behind the scene footage of everything that went into making Renaissance. 

First, let’s dive into the tour. 

I went to the Sept. 23, Houston show. This was my first time ever going to a concert, so I didn’t know what to expect going into it. The entire night was filled with happy tears, screaming out the lyrics, and dancing the choreography. The show was about two and half hours long. She first opened up with her “Dangerously in Love” song from her debut album as a solo artist. She looked absolutely stunning. She wore a long black dress with accent pearls on them. She had about ten outfit changes with visuals in the middle of each change. The dancers were so distinct and together. I love how all of them were so unique with their dancing but still danced together as one unit. All of them, including Beyonce, had blonde platinum hair. My favorite dance break had to be from “Diva” into “Run the World (Girls)”. Even Blue Ivy, Beyonce’s oldest daughter, made a dance appearance. She definitely got her dance moves from her mom. I cried a good five times before she left the stage. Hearing Beyonce’s vocals live is something I will never forget. After the concert, I felt more of an appreciation for Beyonce than I ever had before. You can truly see her dedication and hard work that goes into her craft. 

Now, the movie. 

I saw the movie the day after it came out. In my movie theater, the people in the audience had as much hype as they would in the concert. The movie featured all of the songs Beyonce performed besides a select few. The movie centered around Beyonce’s work ethic and finding her happiness again. In the Renaissance movie, we got to see a personal side to Beyonce that we haven’t seen before. She was more vulnerable in this film, and talked about how it hasn’t always been easy for her. She faced struggles of being a Black woman in the industry, so nobody even took her seriously or doubted her. She even faces being a people pleaser because she cared too much of what other people thought of her. We even got to see more of her family life, which she doesn’t show often. In the film, Beyonce talks about how she wasn’t focused about being perfect this tour, she just wanted to have fun. Performer, mother, and wife, Beyonce is all of the above. I love how we got to this side of Beyonce, because I connected with her even more.

If I did have to pick one, it would definitely have to be the concert. The energy of Beyonce and the fans will just always be unmatched. Beyonce has been in the music industry for over twenty years. However, the movie seemed sentimental. It was almost a goodbye film. If this is Beyonce’s last tour, I’m so happy she went out like this. 

This poll has ended.

Have you seen Beyoncé's Renaissance movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.