Categories:

Make Your Voice Count

Local representative promotes voter registration
Representative Joy Springer explains the voter registration form to seniors, Chris Caldwell and Mason Chaidez, during lunch Sept. 6.
Sybil Curran

Bright smiles form on the faces of eager students at lunch as District 76 Representative Joy Springer registers them to vote. Up for her third term, Springer continues to encourage students to fight for their rights. Springer emphasizes the importance for the younger generation to become politically involved in their community.

“Things don’t happen unless you get out and get involved. You must speak up in order to see change,” Springer said. 

Springer involved herself in the community that surrounds Central from a young age. Now running for another term in the neighborhood, she continues the legacy of many generations before her in the fight for Civil Rights. She carries on the legacy of the Little Rock Nine and still supports the school community.

“I made several trips over to this school and others to ensure that integration was taking place, not only at Central, but all the high schools within the city of Little Rock and in the county,” Springer said. “Central has a special place in my heart because of this. I have been close to Central for many years and I will continue to stay here fighting for Central.”

Springer stepped into office following in the footsteps of Jim Walker, winning by a single vote in the runoff in the special election in 2020. This is what originally inspired Springer to make it her mission to teach others the importance of their votes.

“It came down to me winning after a runoff by one vote– a single person’s vote. I then finished out his term, and then in the next election in November, I overwhelmingly won,” Springer said. “I can now tell people, every vote does count. I was able to win that election by one vote, and so I am first-hand evidence that every single vote does matter.”

Springer rebuts the common misconception that election officials do not care about common people’s voices, but it is her main goal as a representative to listen to her community. 

Springer is concerned about how Little Rock has landed on many negative lists,  including being one of the cities with the most crime and poverty. Rather than just sulking, she thinks this should be a wake up call to inspire and create change.

“Arkansas is one of the most poor states. I mean, we have people that are starving. Can you believe that? “it is just awful especially since we have some major corporations here in Arkansas,” Springer said. “This should inspire people and encourage us to stand up and make a change, to assist in making things better.”

Springer’s main goal is to try and convince students across Arkansas to make their vote count. Even if it is just one student, Springer goes out of her way to talk to them. 

“When I was at Harding University, there were two students in the class that said that they were not going to vote. They didn’t think their vote mattered or that their voice would be heard anyway. I pulled them aside and told them about how I was elected by one vote, knowing I needed to change their mind,” Springer said. “After I worked with them, they both became registered voters excited about the election.”

Springer spends her time talking to students one on one because it is her passion.

“When people come up to me and ask why I do this I say ‘you need to go out and do things you feel passionate about.’ And for me, this is what being a good legislature is: going out and encouraging others to use their voice.” Springer said. “ I truly believe that if you’re doing good things, good things are gonna happen.”