• December 14-19- Semester Exams

• December 14-15- All-Region Jazz Clinic

• December 8- ACT

• December 5- Senior Panoramic

Filed under Lifestyle

Iphone X: What Happened to Nine?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Iphone X: What Happened to Nine?

Sketch of iPhone X (Art by Annie Simon)

Sketch of iPhone X (Art by Annie Simon)

Sketch of iPhone X (Art by Annie Simon)

Sketch of iPhone X (Art by Annie Simon)

Since its start in 1976, Apple Inc. has become a massive company that has brought consumers a multitude of revolutionary products that have continued to grow in popularity. Recently, two new iPhones were released: the iPhone 8 and the iPhone X. The iPhone X is a whole new kind of phone; it is equipped with many new features, but it also takes some getting used to. The question is: is it worth the $1285.00 price?

The iPhone X has new features like facial recognition and improved cameras, but it also has some drawbacks including the hefty price, the removal of the home button, and the less durable glass screen.

This phone might seem like a step towards the future, but do we really need it? Apple steadily increases the prices of new products with new features to make them more appealing, but the new products aren’t as revolutionary as they used to be.

In the past, there have also been adjustments that seemed a little unnecessary, like removing the headphone jack in the iPhone 7. This created a need for a special adapter to use regular headphones that if broken, must be replaced for a price. Since the adapter plugs into the charging port, you also can’t listen to music through earbuds and charge your phone at the same time without another adapter. This change is kept with both the iPhone 8 and the iPhone X.

Because of the removal of the home button on the iPhone X, there is no sensor to unlock the phone with your fingerprint. Using facial recognition to unlock your phone is much more efficient than having to type in your password every time you want to open your phone; also, it’s just awesome.

The cameras on the iPhone X have improved significantly in quality. All of the cameras are equipped with portrait mode, which has a new feature as well: portrait lighting, which allows you to choose between different lighting options to improve the quality of your photos. The cameras have true depth to help blur the backgrounds in photos and create much better quality pictures. The phone also has better screen resolution because of the OLED screen that is thinner, lighter, and allows for darker blacks and crisper colors.

On the iPhone X, the the home button has been removed, to create a phone that is “all screen” as Apple advertises. What is the point of having a phone that is all screen? The company advertises that the phone is “one so immersive the device itself disappears into the experience.” With people already so attached to their phones, do we need a phone that draws them in more?

The removal of the home button is replaced with many new gestures to learn to navigate the phone. While you are still getting used to the new phone, it is a nuisance to have use these new gestures when pressing a home button would have been much easier.

Apple’s website claims the iPhone X has “the most durable glass ever in a smartphone.” That sounds great, but other reviews say otherwise. SquareTrade, a gadget warranty company called it “the most breakable iPhone ever tested.”

The iPhone X is a beautiful looking phone that comes with lots of changes that take some getting used to. Whether it’s worth the steep price is up to you.

About the Writer
Annie Simon, Online Editor

Annie Simon is the 2018-2019 Online Editor for The Tiger. This is her third year on staff; previously she worked as a Staff Writer and Lifestyle Editor. Annie works hard to run the Tiger’s online site but in her free time she enjoys many hobbies. Annie loves to bake chocolate chip cookies and occasionally bring them for her classmates. She also likes to dance ballet, tap, and jazz at Dancer’s Corner in Little Rock. She likes to watch Netflix and is a professional at binge-watching shows, specifically...

1 Comment

One Response to “Iphone X: What Happened to Nine?”

1. Hailey Robbins on September 14th, 2018 9:08 am

The iPhone X is really worthless because it doesn’t need to priced that high when it doesn’t have much stuff different to the other phones. The more screen is honestly not the best because every time to look at your phone instead of pressing the home button you will need to press the side button. The headphone jack too is the same as the other phones which isn’t the best idea because some people like to listen to music while charging their phone. The camera s another thing it is a camera there is n need for the portrait mode because you can take a photo vertical ways to get the picture.

• Iphone X: What Happened to Nine?

Lifestyle

Halloween Calls for Haunting Horror Movies

• Iphone X: What Happened to Nine?

Lifestyle

Pumpkin Carving History Reveals Meaningful Tradition

• Iphone X: What Happened to Nine?

Lifestyle

Fall Recipes Provide Simple, Delicious Festive Treat

• Iphone X: What Happened to Nine?

Lifestyle

Little Rock Hosts Halloween Festivities

• Iphone X: What Happened to Nine?

Lifestyle

Lesbian Couple Shows Strength

• Iphone X: What Happened to Nine?

Lifestyle

Abbi’s Teas and Things Delights Customers

• Iphone X: What Happened to Nine?

Lifestyle

Show Earth Some Love By Refusing Waste, Living Minimally

• Iphone X: What Happened to Nine?

Lifestyle

T.G.I.F.: Katy Perry’s Witness Tour Dazzles Verizon Arena

• Iphone X: What Happened to Nine?

Lifestyle

Interfaith Thanksgiving Promotes Peace, Cultivates Communion

• Iphone X: What Happened to Nine?

Lifestyle

Ayurvedic Seasonal Eating Leads to Optimal Digestion, Balanced Life