• January 21- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (No School)

• January 11- ACT Registration

• January 10- Report Cards Sent Home

• January 9-10- Spring Play Auditions 4 p.m.

Filed under Teacher Feature

Fierro Spices Up Spanish Class

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fierro Spices Up Spanish Class

Alejandro Fierro’s teaching is infused with flavor and music. “I love languages, and the connection they create in the world around us. Being able to pass on that same passion is very rewarding.” (photo by Brooke Elliott)

O-AS-A, O-AS-A. If you’ve ever attended a class taught by Alejandro Fierro, you can sing that from memory. In all likelihood, you can also rap the Spanish days of the week (“Lunes, Martes, Miercoles…”) and count to any number in Español with ease.

Fierro’s classes are never boring, and never quiet. Fierro breathes life into a standard curriculum with mnemonics, chants, songs, and culture days, where students learn about the history behind Mexico’s most prominent language. Fierro is passionate about Spanish, and his love for the subject shines through in his teaching.

“I love languages, and the connection they create in the world around us. Being able to pass on that same passion is very rewarding.” Fierro said.

Alejandro Fierro was born in South America, and later moved to El Paso, Texas. He has been around Spanish-speakers his entire life, and is fully bilingual. Fierro’s students look forward to his classes, and often mention that they feel like he is their friend as well as their teacher.

“I believe in building genuine personal relationships with my students to where we reach a mutual respect for one another.” Fierro said. “Once that is established, the things I have to say or teach suddenly matter more and have value.”

Outside of class, Fierro enjoys cooking, visiting his friends, and working out at the gym. Many of his students react with surprise when they learn that he is an avid gamer, and that he loves Nintendo games.

“If I find some alone time, you can find me duking it out on Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros. with some person online, halfway across the world.” Fierro said.

In addition to regular class days, Fierro has three days set aside as “party” days, where students learn about Mexico’s history while celebrating Mexican independence day, Dia de los Muertos, and Cinco de Mayo. On Mexican independence day, Fierro experienced one of his favorite moments in any of his classes.

“A student of mine drank the hot sauce [I] provided and attempted her best “Mexican Grito.” She started out rough, but then came back and belted one out in true Mexican fashion.”

Fierro enjoys his class time just as much as his free time, and loves that he has the opportunity to guide the next generation of Spanish speakers. According Ethnologue, Spanish is the fourth most commonly spoken language in the world, with over 500 million speakers as of 2018. By teaching his students Spanish in a way that they will both remember and enjoy, Fierro is equipping high schoolers with the skills they need to be successful global citizens.

About the Writer
Brooke Elliott, Staff Writer

Sophomore Brooke Elliott is excited to begin her first year on the Tiger as a staff writer. Brooke’s interest in writing and drawing, in addition to English being her favorite subject, makes her a valuable addition to the staff. However, newspaper isn’t the only school activity she’s involved in; Brooke is also part of the debate team, art club, and the Dungeons and Dragons club. When she isn’t at school or participating in a club, Brooke enjoys reading fantasy and historical fiction and...

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Fierro Spices Up Spanish Class”

1. TeLeah Allen on January 10th, 2019 1:07 pm

I would love to get the chance to be in Mr. Fierro’s class. I personally love to sing and music in general, so I feel that being in his class would be such a blast and I will never be bored. It’s good to learn that their is a teacher that has the same love for music that I do. If I could incorporate music in every subject I definitely would.

2. Shehzad Sayyed on January 10th, 2019 1:10 pm

I thought this article was very interesting

3. Ellyson Bradford on January 10th, 2019 2:32 pm

Good article! Well worded and well written!

4. ashleigh kitchens on January 10th, 2019 2:39 pm

Last year i had Mr.Fierro and i have to say he has been my favorite teacher at central so far. He has an amazing energy and he puts so much effort into interacting with his students and making sure they understand the material. I love how this article tells some things about his life outside of the work place. i had a great time reading this article, keep up the good work!!

5. Maddie Smith on January 10th, 2019 2:42 pm

I think that students learn spanish a lot better through activities like his and his positivity

• Fierro Spices Up Spanish Class

Teacher Feature

Dean Shares Interesting Past

• Fierro Spices Up Spanish Class

Teacher Feature

Beloved Teacher, Coach Reflects On Time as Teacher

• Fierro Spices Up Spanish Class

Teacher Feature

Mayberry Loves Teaching, Traveling World

• Fierro Spices Up Spanish Class

Teacher Feature

Jenkins Brings Joy to Students

• Fierro Spices Up Spanish Class

Teacher Feature

Track Coach Teaches While Inspiring Students to Reach Full Potential

• Fierro Spices Up Spanish Class

Teacher Feature

Physical Science Teacher Knits Her Way Into Students’ Hearts

• Fierro Spices Up Spanish Class

Teacher Feature

New Debate Coach Enjoys Change, Finds A Challenge in Central

• Fierro Spices Up Spanish Class

Teacher Feature

‘Stan’ding For Quality Education: Pryor Emphasizes Importance of Learning

• Fierro Spices Up Spanish Class

Teacher Feature

Norris Shares Love of Science, Teaching

• Fierro Spices Up Spanish Class

Teacher Feature

Art Teacher Fosters Creativity, Discovery Among Students