• April 26- Clash of the Tigers 2:45 pm (Quigley)

• April 24- Administrative Professional Appreciation Day

• April 22- Earth Day

• April 18- ACT Aspire (10th Grade)

• April 16- ACT Aspire (9th Grade)

• April 13- Prom 8pm (GSA)

• April 12- Dance Team Tryouts

• April 11- ACT Aspire (10th Grade)

• April 9- ACT Aspire (9th Grade)

• April 8-9- Dance Team Auditions

Filed under Teacher Feature

Beloved Teacher, Coach Reflects On Time as Teacher

Back to Article
Back to Article

Adam Kirby teaches his AP comparative government class with a smile, proud of how much his students know about the world. Kirby sets his students up for success when going into the final exams. (photo by Emily Low)

Adam Kirby is a Civics/Economics and AP Comparative Government teacher along with being the girl’s soccer coach. Beloved by many, Kirby dedicates his time to his students and thrives on their successes. As a Central alum, he feels “at home” teaching here, which is why he’s been doing it for 15 years. Because of Central’s diversified student body and the students willingness to learn, Kirby says he wouldn’t want to teach anywhere else.

Graduating from Central High School, Kirby continued his education at Millsaps college in Jackson, Mississippi, he graduated with a masters in education and then furthered his education at Wesley Theology Seminary in Washington, D.C. He decided to come back to his old stomping grounds and has been a teacher at Central for years.

If he weren’t teaching, Kirby would want to pursue a career in political and faith based leadership as the Director of Faith and Public Policy for The Center For American Progress. This position highlights many of Kirby’s skills, as he would help shape the debate on faith and how faith can be used for progressive change. With his progressive mind and impressive skill set, Kirby especially enjoys teaching his AP Comparative Government class of Juniors and Seniors.

“I love my Comp Gov class because it forces me to think about the political and economic position of other countries,” Kirby said.

Although he enjoys his AP Comp Gov class, he also loves teaching Civics and Economics. With a class full of freshman, Kirby notes that he treasures getting to know these students, so that he can watch them grow throughout their high school career. Even if these two courses don’t sound extremely different, there is a unique mindset that comes with teaching them both.

“Its difficult to go from AP to Pre-AP; you get about 7 minutes to re-adjust your thoughts and shift from Comp Gov to Civics/Econ. It’s hard work,” Kirby said.

When asked about the hardest part of being a teacher, Kirby noted the bureaucratic pieces of the education system that don’t help teachers grow, and waste time that could be used to help students comprehend subjects. Even when teaching gets hard, especially with the turmoil in the LRSD, Kirby said he wouldn’t want to teach anywhere else. Although he would enjoy teaching in a tropical climate such as Belize, or somewhere state side such as Key West, FL, Kirby loves his job at Central, and even if provided the opportunity, would stay at his beloved alma mater. Kirby has an unforgettable impact on the students he teaches.

Former civics student senior, Ty Barrett reflects on his time in Kirby’s classroom.

“Kirby was one of the best teachers that I have ever had the privilege of having. I have never been very good at history, but with his class he made me love his class and everything that he had to say. I’ve never had a teacher that put so much effort into making sure each student not only understands the information, but is interested and involved in each lesson and feels comfortable going into each class. Even though I only had him my freshman year, I have kept up with him for the past three years and try to go talk to him as much as I can. Not only was he a good teacher, but also a role model and someone that I look up to greatly.”

“He isn’t afraid to call you out, and he taught me to think before I speak which is obviously really helpful,” Junior Rishith Vaddavalli said.

Junior Keeling Baker also joins in on the praise for Kirby by exclaiming that Kirby has been able to reach him and allow him to understand things he would not normally think about, while maintaining a sense humor that is similar to his own.

Not only is he an exceptional teacher, but one of the best coaches that the Central girls soccer team has ever had. Junior Caroline Bryant has had him as a teacher and a coach and has loved every minute of it.

“Starting from when we were freshman on the soccer team, Kirby has always made sure that everyone was included. He comes early to practice and stays late for us, always. This is the first year that soccer has had an athletic block and he puts in so much effort and dedication to make sure that each practice is planned to give us the most help. I’m the goalie for the team, and although he isn’t the goalie trainer, he has always made sure that I had a proper training to insure that I get just as much practice as everyone else. I still eat lunch in his room everyday, I monitored his class, and have stayed close with him for the past three years. He’s my go-to teacher for me whether it’s editing a paper or just needing someone to talk to”

With his dedication to his career and his students, Kirby is an excellent teacher who puts in tons of effort to ensure his students success.

About the Writers
Emily Low, School News Editor
Emily Low is entering her second year on staff as the School News Editor. She plans to further her education at Tulane, in New Orleans, and major in International Relations. She is a senior representative for Student Council and participates on the varsity girls soccer team, lettering her sophomore and junior year. Outside of school she likes to walk her dog and hangout with her friends. Her favorite snacks are  bagels from Panera with cream cheese and Annie’s chocolate chip cookies. She is also deeply afraid of horses, but isn’t quite sure why. She is so excited for her second official year on the Tiger newspaper. Like one of Emily's stories? Let her know! Email him at [email protected]
Sarah Gornatti, Staff Writer
With hopes of being on a college newspaper in mind, junior Sarah Gornatti is a first-year member of the Tiger staff. A lover of many things, Sarah enjoys hiking, volunteering, sleeping, but most of all the color periwinkle. Sarah is part-Italian, and her love of pasta has made her six years of vegetarianism a breeze. Combining her love of English and History, she dreams of someday traveling through Europe as a journalist . Until then, the Tiger staff is happy to host Sarah's bubbly personality and riveting reporting. Like one of Sarah's stories? Let her know! Email her at [email protected]