Valentine’s Day is for Everyone

Asher Simmons

Whether platonic, romantic, or familial, all love should be celebrated. With the excuse of Valentine’s Day, you can make February 14th your time to remind loved ones of how much you value them and spread kindness to every person around you. Here are some of my favorite parts of this holiday:

1. Rom-coms: Since it is the season of love, it’s the perfect time to rewatch your favorite romance movies. Binge-watching beloved classics like “The Notebook”, “10 Things I Hate About You”, and “Pride and Prejudice” is my favorite way to get myself into the Valentine’s spirit. Besides, who doesn’t love Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy’s fated romance? 
  2. Exchange gifts: Giving is how I show my loved ones I care about them. You can do the same with heartfelt letters, a personally curated playlist, handmade gifts, and drawn pictures. This is also perfect if you weren’t planning on spending money this Valentine’s Day. A handmade gift can be even more meaningful because the recipient knows you spent time on it. 
  3. Sweets: Handmade or store-bought goods like heart-shaped cookies, strawberry scones, and chocolate-covered strawberries can help express your appreciation and gratitude to your special person (or people). Christmas is not the only holiday for baking!   
  4. Love Songs: No matter if you’re spending this holiday alone or with that special someone, listening to songs about love makes me feel good because it shows me how people can love. Some of my favorites to listen to are, “Love is the Way” by Thee Sacred Souls,  “I  Melt with You” by Modern English, and “In Love with You” by Erykah Badu. 
  5. Self-Love: The last and arguably most important aspect of Valentine’s Day—taking time to appreciate YOURSELF. It can be hard to see couples around, and even watching romantic comedies can sometimes breed feelings of loneliness. It is important to remember that your worth is not defined by romantic validation. Learn to scrapbook, watch TV, paint, or find a new hobby! The opportunity to get to know yourself can be a beautiful experience and Valentine’s Day is a special time to get started.

Even though Valentine’s Day is often criticized for focusing on the materialistic aspect of giving, that doesn’t mean that love is based on material gain. Love is found all around us and it’s easy to appreciate this most vital ingredient in any relationship.