• April 26- Clash of the Tigers 2:45 pm (Quigley)

• April 24- Administrative Professional Appreciation Day

• April 22- Earth Day

• April 18- ACT Aspire (10th Grade)

• April 16- ACT Aspire (9th Grade)

• April 13- Prom 8pm (GSA)

• April 12- Dance Team Tryouts

• April 11- ACT Aspire (10th Grade)

• April 9- ACT Aspire (9th Grade)

• April 8-9- Dance Team Auditions

Filed under Voices

One More On the List: Netflix Releases New Originals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Netflix original movie Atypical features Sam Gardner (Keir Gilchrist) a high school student on the autism spectrum and the rest of the Gardner’s as they navigate through Sam wanting to have more independence, including starting to date. (photo by Annie Fortune)

A tale as old as Netflix: postponing homework or other responsibilities to watch one more episode of your favorite show or finish that one movie you’ve been meaning to. But which ones are worth your time? There are around 700 Netflix original series currently on the widely popular streaming service and a plan for 80 original movies to come out in the year 2018 alone.

More common titles are shows like the 1980s inspired Stranger Things and To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before that introduced us to the newest teen heartthrob, Noah Centineo, but what about the not as well-known titles?

When We First Met

When We First Met, directed by Ari Sandel and written by John Whittington, follows the story of Noah (Adam Devine) after he attends the engagement party of Avery (Alexandra Daddario), who he believes was his “one that got away.” He can trace it all back to the night they met: Halloween three years ago. He feels as though he completely blew his shot because the next day Avery meets her now fiance, Ethan (Robbie Amell), and any chance Noah had with her is gone. After discovering a time machine disguised as a photo booth, Noah revisits that Halloween night where it all went down and attempts, but fails multiple times, to make the story go his way, learning along the way that Avery was not his dream girl, but rather Avery’s best friend, who he would have never expected. In a major contrast to his character Bumper in Pitch Perfect, Adam Devine’s Noah is sweet and dorky and just trying to find someone to love. Every character works together perfectly in order to create the classic story illustrating that what you want is not always what you need.

Set It Up

Directed by Claire Scanlon and written by Katie Silberman, Set It Up is the story of two workaholic assistants, Harper (Zoey Deutch) and Charlie (Glen Powell), and their two even more workaholic bosses, Kristen (Lucy Liu) and Rick (Taye Diggs), who meet when both are trying to find dinner for each of their bosses. They start talking and soon come up with the unflappable plan to set their bosses up together in attempt to get them to loosen up and stop being so harsh on their assistants. This plan predictably fails horribly, but, in the process, Harper and Charlie find a spark between themselves. Lucy Liu plays the perfect stylish, powerful, strict magazine editor, and Taye Diggs brings to life the stereotypical overworking, slightly inconsiderate, hot-tempered business man. The chemistry between Zoey Deutch and Glen Powell is obvious, sweet, and classic.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

For those who enjoy a story of history and overcoming obstacles, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, based on the novel by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows is the perfect film. Directed by Mike Newell and adapted by Don Roos, the film, set in the aftermath of World War II in England, brings to life the story of Juliet Ashton (Lily James), a writer who discovers the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and their fascinating tale of survival during the Nazi occupation of their town. Juliet decides that she wants to see first-hand what happened to these people and to write a story about them and, when visiting, finds herself at home among the people there. This is a story of hope and perseverance through times when it seems like all hope is lost. The lovely costumes fit the time period, and Lily James, along with the rest of the cast, portray each character perfectly, especially in a historical setting.

Atypical

When it comes to shows, one that is a slightly hidden gem is Atypical, created by Robia Rashid and currently streaming two seasons. Atypical is the story of Sam Gardner (Keir Gilchrist), an 18-year-old high school student on the autism spectrum, and the rest of his family while they navigate major life changes. These include Sam wanting to start dating, their daughter Casey (Brigette Lundy-Paine) having her first boyfriend, and their mom Elsa (Jennifer Jason Leigh) starting her own journey of self discovery. It is a coming of age story showing the inevitable highs and lows of life. Brigette Lundy-Paine paints an utterly accurate picture of the struggles of growing up and entering high school through her character Casey, including having her first boyfriend and having her world shattered by her mom’s selfish ways, all while having to care for and support Sam in and out of school. The story line is clever and always makes you want to root for Sam and Casey in everything they do while growing up.

About the Writer
Annie Fortune, Staff Writer
 Annie Fortune is a sophomore staff writer for the Tiger. For all you Bachelor fans out there, Annie is right with you every Monday night, intently watching, in suspense. She even has a ritual of watching it with her friends each week.  Not only does Annie adore The Bachelor, but she also loves being outdoors, going to concerts with her dad, and hanging out with her friends. Even though Annie loves doing all these fun things, she is definitely focused on school and sees herself becoming a child psychologist. However, her ultimate dream job would be commentating The Bachelor just like Chris Harrison. Annie is a very strong Democrat and is involved in The Young Democrats club at Central. She loves writing and can not wait for this year to write for the Tiger staff! Like one of Annie's stories? Let her know! Email her at [email protected]
1 Comment

One Response to “One More On the List: Netflix Releases New Originals”

1. carmen leggett on November 9th, 2018 12:59 pm

I love all of these films, especially Set it Up! good job, annie.

• One More On the List: Netflix Releases New Originals

Voices

Mueller Releases Report, Sparks Controversy

Voices

Students Encourage Political Action to Combat Low Voter Turnout

Voices

ACT/SAT Terminate Test Scores for Being too High

Voices

Methodist Church Votes to Uphold Ban On Homosexuality

Voices

Sunscreen Contaminates Oceans, Harms Coral

Voices

Fashion Industry Secrets! Gucci, Supreme, Vuitton Reveal Methods for Making Iconic Clothing

Community

Into the Spider-Verse Swings to the Top

Voices

Black Leaders Inspire Change, Creativity

Voices

Government Shutdown Creates National Crisis

Voices

Annual Grammy Awards Excites Students, Prompts Differing Opinions