Editorial: A Balancing Act

The Given Name Act Targets Transgender Students
Art by Asher Simmons

In recent months, schools across Arkansas have implemented a new policy—the Given Name Act—which forces transgender students to obtain parental consent before teachers can address them by their preferred name and pronouns. Our publication strongly condemns this discriminatory law and calls upon the school’s staff to protest its implementation.

We understand the importance of adhering to legal obligations. However, we also believe teachers play a crucial role in fostering a safe and inclusive environment for all students. It is within this context that we find ourselves at a crossroads: balancing the duty to comply with law with the need to protect transgender students. 

Many students face challenges in securing parental consent because of family dynamics. In such cases, educators are confronted with the delicate task of upholding the new law without exposing transgender youth to social, emotional, and even physical violence. While our entire community must approach this issue with sensitivity, teachers hold a unique responsibility to safeguard the wellbeing of their students. Studies published in the “Social Science Research” journal have consistently shown that affirming a student’s gender identity correlates positively with academic success and improved mental health. Therefore, we argue teachers in Arkansas should be granted professional judgment regarding the way they address each student. Professional development opportunities should be offered to teachers who are less familiar with the importance of affirming gender identities, and new resources should be made available to students targeted by this legislation.

Under this law, individuals are frequently faced with choosing to come out to their parents or being addressed by unwanted titles. Both choices may pose significant danger. Deadnaming, or using the birth name of a transgender person instead of their chosen name, can contribute to feelings of alienation, anxiety, and even depression. Additionally, forced outing, the act of disclosing someone’s transgender status without their consent, can expose individuals to discrimination. Both deadnaming and forced outing disregard the autonomy of transgender individuals in defining and controlling their own narratives.

It is our hope that a balance can be struck between legal compliance and the emotional safety of transgender students. By fostering an environment that respects diversity and prioritizes the well-being of every student, we can create a community that truly embodies the principles of inclusion and equality.