Students Take On AMI

Sophomore Julio Castrillo, like many other students at Central, have been impacted in ways that could have never been imagined. With the schools closed until April 17, and possibly even longer than that, students work at home doing online classes through AMI (Alternative Method of Instruction).

“The virus hasn’t really impacted me much because I feel fine and I still get to do everything I need to; I get a homemade meal each day and have everything like warm showers and etc.,” Castrillo said.

The LRSD sent out and created a public meal plan for students who might need meals during this unexpected time.

“I don’t know anyone personally who gets the meal plans at the moment but I do know that many kids depend on the meal plan and that’s why it is important,” Castrillo said. “The AMI days for school has been a big dilemma and I don’t think we will be going back to school any day soon due to the rapid increase of cases of the coronavirus and severity of the situation.”

Local officials have suggested the practice of social distancing, the act of limiting social interaction with others in your community. There are no dine-in restaurants at the moment, only take-out/carry-out or delivery, and there also is no toilet paper or hand sanitizer in the grocery stores.

“In total honesty I think that it’s best that we continue using AMI days and staying at home for the safety of everyone because the coronavirus is something that must not be taken lightly,” Castrillo said.

Castrillo is looking forward to moving past the entire situation, but he plans to work on his AMI work to maintain good grades. 

“My biggest worry of the coronavirus is to stay safe and not panic because it seems to get more serious each day,” Castrillo said.

As Castrillo tries to remain calm, it is important that others remain calm too. In this worldwide pandemic the most important thing one can do to help prevent the spread is to limit the socialization and always wash your hands.