No More HOCO

Homecoming Events Cancelled

Emily Jefferson

The Student Council posted this message on their Instagram.

The week of Sept. 28 is something many look forward to in their high school experience: homecoming week, or HOCO for short. 

“Homecoming week is very fun. I get excited about dressing up for spirit days and the dance. I also love having fun with my friends, and it makes me appreciate high school,” junior Addison Mann said. 

Spirit days, pep rallies, Homecoming court, game day, the Homecoming dance, and the crowning of the Homecoming King and Queen create unforgettable memories of high school festivities. 

Students knew Homecoming wouldn’t be the same this year because of the COVID-19 crisis. Talks about not having a Homecoming dance were brought up early in the school year and were confirmed on Sept. 24 when the Student Council posted on Instagram. 

“Due to safety reasons, the Administrators have decided not to have a Homecoming Court or dance. We’re hoping to have a Basketball Homecoming in February!” the post stated. 

Though the dance cancellation wasn’t surprising, some students were shocked about not having a Homecoming court. 

“I thought we were still going to vote for Homecoming Court, because they would have been able to maintain social distancing on the field and other schools in the district did,” sophomore Madison Tucker said. 

Other students were anticipating this decision. 

“I really wasn’t shocked,” senior Miranda Gomez said. “Sure, it’s sad since it’s my senior year, but I knew it was necessary for the safety of my peers and myself as well as all our families. It was a precautionary step that needed to take place to lower the chance of spreading COVID-19 in our community.”

With those events ruled out early, students were grateful to at least have a spirit week and game day. Unfortunately, on Sept. 30, the middle of Homecoming week, Principal Nancy Rousseau announced the move to all-virtual instruction because of multiple cases of COVID-19 among people in the athletic program. Students were very upset with this change, but happy they were able to have the first three days of the spirit week, which included pajama day, jersey day, and animal print day. 

Some students decided to take it upon themselves to get together and have a small, safe get-together to imitate Homecoming. 

“It felt a little like a strike of genius, I just wanted to have some sort of special night for me and some of my favorite people to really enjoy!” Gomez said. 

This alternative would allow students to experience the joys of Homecoming while keeping in mind the safety of themselves and others. 

“Of course, it was too short notice to plan it the same night Homecoming was supposed to be, but the plan is just to set up a makeshift photo booth wall, some fun lighting, some speakers and a good playlist. It’s definitely a fun excuse to just get ready and enjoy some time with my friends,” Gomez said.

Students are looking forward to the Homecoming festivities scheduled in February. Especially seniors, because it will be the last  opportunity for them to attend a Central Homecoming dance.