Event Schedule for 60th Anniversary of Central’s Integration

Lauren Berry, Executive Editor

As we all know, 60 years ago, the world watched as nine black students tried tirelessly to enter the doors of our school. Over the next couple weeks, the school district, the city, and many local organizations are putting on events to celebrate the anniversary of this monumental event.

Headlining events:

Dedication of the “United” sculpture

Friday, September 22

1:30-2:00

Central

The winner of the 2016 Sculpture at the River Market Public Monument Competition, Clay Enoch’s sculpture “United” will be dedicated after it’s installment on the front lawn of Central.

Reflections of Progress symposium

Saturday, September 22

9:00-11:30 am

This a forum that will include three panels and two speakers, and will reflect and discuss the events leading up to, the event of, and the events following the integration. The participants are to be announced.

Mavis Staples Live

Saturday, September 23

7:00-9:00 pm

Robinson Center

A concert headlined by Mavis Staples, singer and civil rights activist, Tickets range from $45-$65 and proceeds go to the Little Rock Nine Foundation. Tickets are available for purchase on ticketmaster.com and in person at the celebrity attractions box office inside the Robinson Center.

Children of the Little Rock Nine panel discussion

Sunday, September 24

3:00-5:00 pm

Ron Robinson Theater

A panel discussion led by children of the nine as they discuss their lives, their parents impacts on their lives, and what being a civil rights pioneer looks like in day to day life. This is free and open to the public, but seats must be reserved by calling (501) 683-5239.

Interfaith ceremony

Sunday, September 24

5:00-7:00 pm

Robinson Center

A service led by a combination of local and national leaders from various faiths, and a community choir. Due to limited seating, participants must register (for free) at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/central-high-integration-60th-anniversary-interfaith-service-tickets-37212134496?aff=utm_source%3Deb_email%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dnew_event_email&utm_term=eventurl_text

Commemoration ceremony

Monday, September 25

10:00-11:30 am

Central auditorium

President Bill Clinton will deliver the keynote address. Other participants include Harvard University’s Dr. Henry Louis Gates Jr., Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson, Cameron Sholly of the National Park Service, Little Rock Mayor Mark Stodola, City Manager Bruce T. Moore, Central High Principal Nancy Rousseau, the 2017-2018 student body presidents of Little Rock School District’s high schools, and the Philander Smith College Choir. Parking will be at the Arkansas State Fairgrounds, with shuttle transportation between the fairgrounds and the Little Rock Central High campus. Because the auditorium is at capacity, overflow seating will be provided in the gymnasium. Due to limited seating, attendees must register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/overflow-central-high-integration-60th-anniversary-commemoration-ceremony-tickets-37675825408

A full list of community events can be found at http://www.centralhigh60th.org/events/community-events/

We hope that you will participate in one or more of these events, and celebrate the history and progress of our school with us.